triggering/drum replacing

scorpio01169

Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
i have a friend who has a small studio and every now and then i go help him track...the problem is we can get an awsome drum sound on some drum sets but no matter what, he wants to replace the drums with samples. to me that should be the last thing you do if you cant get a good sound from a kit or a drummer cant hit drums hard enough, he also refuses to mic up a guitar/bass cab....he insitst on using his behringer V-Amp (sounds like shit IMOP). my question is how many of you try to get a good sound first or are you predispose to trigger or resample or use amp simulators?

I don't find those 2 things related at all. I am inclined to use samples much of the time...and modelers never. :)

Most of the time I just plan on replacing the kick from the get go. I don't even put much time into it unless the drum and the player just sounds awesome. For the snare and toms I'd prefer using mic'd sounds but they'd have to be great drums and a great player.

first of all, behringer simulations suck extrem!!!

Second when you have a very nice drum sound you dont need to trigger.
If you want this andy, madsen, richardson kick sound just tack 8-16 realy nice
hits of the bassdrum and just put it into drumagog.

Then blend them with the micd kick and ready...

Does this dude call him a enginer or a homerecording guy???

:Smokin:

Yea sucks when you try and help people out and then they don't want your help and just wanna do it there own way. Been there done that!!

Me personally i don't have much experience with drums but i think I'm gonna replace everything except overheads on my upcoming session to get good separation and i don't have enough good mics or preamps to capture sound i would want anyway. But honestly if i had the equipment i would pull best drum sound i could get then replace if needed!!

Been said around here from Andy down to us little guys that simulators are cool and people get good tones but there is no caparison to a good miced cab and head!!