triggers!?!

adeadeasf

New Metal Member
Apr 1, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
hey.... i know that it may be a very stupid question, but i would like to have some informaiton about TRIGGERS.. i mean, what are they?? are they sort of like programs for drummers to use to do some parts by computer or what? plzz help

It basicly makes a accoustic drum set have the benefits of a digital one. It makes the hits sound more soild than they would otherwise. As far as this being a dumb question...not even close. It's one of the hottest debated topics on almost every metal board I have ever been to. Personally I like them, I think they are nothing except a tool. Anything that can help make the music better is a good thing in my book.

My understanding is that a triggered pedal bounces back as soon as it hits the bass drum, which makes them easier to play fast because you don't have to lift your foot all the way up to hit it again.

Triggers with super fast double bass is absolutely needed.

They don't "speed" up a player, and they don't bounce back differently if they weren't on.

What they're used for is to get a consistent and clean bass sound out of each bass drum hit.

I have no problem with them, but of course, they shouldn't be used to cheat.

Triggers are devices that monitor the drumskins and whenever it registers a hit, a trigger triggers (hence the name) an event in a computer that makes it play a certain sound which is usually a powerful hit on the drumskin but could be a lightning strike or an explosion.

Now triggers themselves aren't really cheating but since even the slightest touch sounds the same as a powerful hit, you can use certain techniques to cheat on speed that you couldn't use on a non-triggered drum(set).

Triggers are wonderful things generally imo, you can do so much with them. I just think it's a bit naff that some drummers rely on them to play fast all the time, recorded or live, since triggers can also allow multiple hit sounds as well as alternate ones. The sounds themselves can be gaggingly overdone, IE, Dimmu's Puritanical.

clickety clickety clickety click! Look at me! I'm not a bass drum, i'm a wooden tom!