Trilian Bass Module

HostileEx

Jun 24, 2011
Missouri, MO
Not sure if this should go in equipment or tips, nontheless, I just recently purchased Trilian and will be installing it later tonight. I've been reading around the internet, while I'm at work eagerly waiting, on what bass I should choose. I've noticed that many people have said that there isn't much choice for metal bass.

So I was wondering what bass would be great to get a nice clanky tone. Something that really chugs. Does anyone have any recommendations? By the way, the first track I'm going to try it on is in Drop A# (A# F A# D# G C). Will Trilian handle low frequencies well?

I got fed up writing midis, programming it, half the whole time messing around with it trying to get it to sound good in the mix. De-installed it and went out to buy a real bass.

Thing is, I was using the hardcore finger all the time and it could sound even better if u turn off the amp and use external impulses but even then, Trilian sounds decent at higher tunings but when you want to drop it down to A standard and do fast complex technical brutal death with it like what I was trying to get it to do I mind as well bite the bullet and go out to buy a solid bass and learn how to play.

I had a very positive experience with Trilian. I write my bass, as well as drum, midi in GuitarPro. I exported it as a midi into FLstudio. I fiddled around with many different basses, but Hardcore Finger was easily the best for the aggressive clank that I was looking for. I wasn't too keen on the compression. etc. So I manually humanized it using FL Studio and I turned off all the post processing, besides the amp, that Trillian had offered. I ended up with a great sound, even for Drop A#, the only thing to bother me was the robotic Tremolo, even after humanizing. So I sneap searched bass programing methods and found an awesome thread that really made my bass stand out and be better than I have ever thought I could achieve. I'm 100% satisfied.

I liked either picked modern a or b. But the problem with trilian is that there isnt one module that has the right combo of pick attack and low end IMO. I found myself combining different modules on several occassions. My best advice would be use it in context and then decide. Play the track you are going to mix it into and just go down the list of modules. You may find one module that sits very nice in the mix but doesnt have the right pick attack, thats when you would have to combine.

Of course midi bass plugins are very limited. You will never get that dynamic sound from a VST bass plugin. Something else I have tried is to mix trilian with an actual guitar track. Not a bass guitar but a standard guitar. Play the riff on a standard guitar, in key of course, and then pitch modulate it down a few octaves to make it sound like a bass. Then mix this track with Trilian.

Good luck. Bass guitars are where most mixes fail