Tristania - Widow's Weeds

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
i recently stumbled upon this album....bought it over a decade ago and actually hated it back then lol. but then i accidentally found it in my cd shelf a few days ago and FUCK, it blows my mind. the songs are soooo emotional, dark, epic, melancholic, and full of energy, i just love it from start to finish. and while the production is pretty raw (i tend to dig more polished sounds) it just seems to add to the atmosphere, actually the production does a great job in conveying the mood of the songs - and that's what it's about after all.
anyways.....there's not a single bad song on this record. i can't even pick out a favorite ;)

i got to say though, i was pretty disappointed when i checked out some of their more recent albums. it's just not the same....

i just felt the urge to share my thoughts on the sheer epicness of this album. random post is random, i guess ;)

if anyone can recommend me some similar music, please do so!

Agreed. It´s my favourite gothic album ever. The guitars sound like shit but the whole album has a gloomy vibe. The solo violins are awesome.

Beyond the Veil is a great album. My favourite Tristania album so far. These guys were openers for Epica with Draconian about 2 weeks ago here but I couldn't find a chance to go to the concert. Dammit! >_> (Gonna see CoB tomorrow, so... :headbang: )

I really am not familiar with this style of metal at all.

However "Alas" Erik Rutan's old band, might be to your tastes....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba9GmgZdleQ&feature=related[/ame]

...In other news, I love Erik Rutan

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the old Tristania stuff, the first 3 albums. For similar music I am thinking of maybe Therion, but it's not as dark I would say. Also The Sins of thy Beloved is very dark and slow. And for not so great productions Dismal Euphony, the album Soria Moria Slot. Maybe also Alkonost. The Sins of thy Beloved and Dismal Euphony are also from Norway and I always wondered wth goes on there for such beautiful darkness to be created. :p

Also if I'm not mistaking it's the same violin player in The Sins of thy Beloved and Tristania.

Last edited by a moderator: