Triton Power Cruise Cancelled

Hrmmmm.........

70000+Tons+Of+Metal+2010-Logo_13-01-2010(WM).jpg

splash_pg_sept_sm.jpg

I'm with you Frode.....I know EXACTLY what you're going through with this, and it's complete BS to tell you that you are a bad manager for making your band lose money.

The more I read about people in here, having all kinds of pre-fabricated opinions about a lot of stuff, that they don't know Jack-Sh** about, the more I wanna venture into my old dream about writing a book about this whole disgusting scenario, called the music business, letting people know exactly how business IS conducted....all the way from the professional company to the lousy self-exalted crackhead, who's in there, just to gain cheap points.

.....but I'll probably never do it, coz 98% of everyone I know would hate me afterwards, hahahahahaha.

Later,

Lars

I'm with you Frode.....I know EXACTLY what you're going through with this, and it's complete BS to tell you that you are a bad manager for making your band lose money.

The more I read about people in here, having all kinds of pre-fabricated opinions about a lot of stuff, that they don't know Jack-Sh** about, the more I wanna venture into my old dream about writing a book about this whole disgusting scenario, called the music business, letting people know exactly how business IS conducted....all the way from the professional company to the lousy self-exalted crackhead, who's in there, just to gain cheap points.

.....but I'll probably never do it, coz 98% of everyone I know would hate me afterwards, hahahahahaha.

Later,

Lars

The problem with the music business, is that it is a business. And people don't like that fact. A constant compromise of artful intentions and the demands of a competitive business world. A world where 'artists' are reduced to being sweatshop workers, because, they can be, and there's little they can do about it.

You also rarely know who you are dealing with. The passionate fan, the guy who is there just for a dollar today, or the guy with a long term business plan that works his ass off to have a long term successful business.

I respect the artist who moves from England, to California, because only in California can he get enough shows to actually be a career musician/performer/entertainer. I respect the single-childless guy who sells everything he has to pay for a tour because its 'one shot in a lifetime.' I just hope he really knows what he's getting into, and why he's getting into it.

I also respect the band who studied the markets, spend lots of time on tour planning, and have figured out how to be a small-time band that makes a decent career doing what they love to do. Sustainably. EVen those who tour at a short-term loss, predicting (rightly so) that it can lead to long term gain. You know, going from 20 people, to 200. Not, as some do, needing to go from 20 people to 20,000 to ever see back their investment.

For me, planning all the JOP tours is a constant battle when trying to make
the right financial/logistical decisions since your efforts are always
focused on moving the band in a positive, upward direction. Losing
money first and then making money later is par for the course in this
crazy business. Sometimes, as Frode rightfully did, you have to make decisions
based on the perceived likelihood that the show/tour is going to happen as planned.
And sometimes, no matter how hard you try to cover all your bases, it
just does not work....as was the JOP/Beyond Fear/Chris Caffery tour...
A tour we labeled mid-way through as "The Tragical Misery Tour".
We even had a bus driver who admitted halfway through the tour that
he wouldn't be able to drive us into Canada because he was going on trial
for a felony weapons charge....I certainly could have never predicted that
tour killer. You just never know, and what an asshole that driver was for
putting us in that position.

And I believe 100% that if the promoters family was not gravely ill and in
need of her undivided attention, the cruise would have happened even
if she would have lost money. People could say that she was not doing
her job in light of recent events...and that would be just insane and malicious.

People questioned the promoters "lack of effort" for not getting someone else to fill her shoes.
That might be the stupidest thing yet concerning this entire situation.
Thos comments are not only idiotic, but certainly comments which came from people who do not
have the first clue about booking a band for a house party, let alone 12 bands-PA
and an endless amount of logistical nightmares trying to coordinate such a festival
on a cruise ship. I've been in this business 25 years and I wouldn't have tried
to touch that job for all the money in world!

I have learned a great deal over the last 6 years planning tours 5000 miles
away from where we live. But it took absorbing some serious lumps and set-backs
to acquire a half-way decent hold on the situation. But in the end, nothing is for
sure until you step on that plane to come home and the accounting spread sheet
is complete....and profitable.

John Maddon can be afraid of flying. I have the far more rational fear of bus drivers. Crazy stuff Kong.

I have been on tours with Kong (yes - the Tragical Misery Tour) and Frode... and have see Lars in action. They all do what is best for the bands at all times, while still trying for a fair balance with the promoters, clubs, crew, and other bands,etc.

It seems like a thankless job to me, and I'm sure I have only seen some aspects of the entire set of issues that can occur. having said that - being a tech on an undersized crew, being a babysitter in some cases , and helping out with some asst TM duties is no cakewalk at times either! lol

But - i don't see where Cheirons opinion is anywhere near reality.. but that is one great thing about an opinion - doesn't need to reflect reality :lol: