Trivium-esque/ thrash band - Is this mix COMMERCIAL enough?

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Here's something I'm nearly finished with guys. I was going for that Sneap/ Colin vibe that usually is attributed to more of the 'commercial' metal mixes these days. Usually I don't mix this way, but the band calls for it.

I'd love any critique you guys can come up with.
Cheers,
Chris

THE ACTUAL FINAL MIX: UPDATED 12/07/2012 10:30pm EST
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/306055/Envenomed - Global Deception FINAL.mp3

UPDATED AS FINISHED MIX:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/306055/Envenomed - Global Deception FULL 2.mp3

maybe add a a little more low end to the mix and some more reverb-delay on the vocals other than that cool mix!

what do you mean by commercial metal mixes vibe? can you give an example for something that is not that way??
about the mix i think it sounds good, maybe make it a little more polished in the high mids

Cheers guys! That mix was updated at 8pm EST 6/7 by the way :) Bit more lowend, cleaned the high mids a bit. Maybe it needs a bit more?

@Aviel - Realistically, I think I mean half about the mix, half about the band's style. It lends itself to that Bullet For My Valentine/ Trivium sort of mix overall. Was just wondering if it's in that ballpark in terms of the mix itself, eg a Colin Richardson, Andy Sneap styled mix. :)
I know it's far from anything THEY'D release, but it was more so just getting that vibe etc.

Cheers for the comments guys. I actually had the snare up slightly and didn't like it... Maybe I should have left it...
As for the kick, hmm... Don't know if I'm noticing as much. But I know it's been a problem in my mixes before.

If I get a chance, I'll fix those little things up :)

Cheers

Mix sounds perfect for the sound that the band seems to be going for IMO. Definitely 'commercial' enough.

Sounds good, I'd drop the kick about .5 db and it seems a little loose on the faster parts, maybe drop the vocals a half a db too. Opinions on mixes are always going to be broad though, if it sounds good to you then that's what matters, it is YOUR project after all

EQ on everything is fine

Thanks again for listening guys. I've been given to tomorrow to make any changes, so I'm going to do that.
But it's only the snare up like .5db and the kick down .5db otherwise I'm very happy with it :D

FISTING-BOT: yes, they are slightly out in the fast parts, but I was paid to only mix and the band did all the editing! It annoys me still though... And it's obviously noticeable to others :p so I'm going to just fix it anyways!

Thanks again guys, I'll post the updated/ completed version :)

honestly man I don't think that this is one of your better works....vocalist seems to be off pitch-wise at a lot of parts, even if he's pretty cool at nailing it at other parts. weird.
I can somehow feel the colin vibe, but overall I dunno....
sorry dude, just heared better from you allready!
snare sounds totally squashed to me (in a bad way), and everything is a bit on the thin side, basswise.

Hey guys! Here's the final mix from today!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/306055/Envenomed - Global Deception FINAL.mp3

Mago: I don't entirely disagree on that. My best work is always the work I've been there to Produce + Track. This was purely a Mix job, and I'm still quite happy with how it came out. Unfortunately, the snare was already sampled when it got to me. So I tried to mix in some other samples to get some dynamic back into it.

the cymbals and guitartone and snare-crack all seem to "scratchy" for the 100% commercial vibe, and damn the vocalist sounds like heafey, sad thing the riffs do not hold up :/