Trying minimalist approach, what you think? 100% real drums/guitar/bass

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
Before you listen this takes a little explaining so PLEASE READ!

This track was recorded to help one of my guitar students ( he's 15) as his band got into a national talent quest here in NZ so I wanted to support them. Please bear in mind these KIDS are all 15 years old this is their first band and first ever original song and they have all only been playing for about 18 months or so so it gets a little interesting in parts lol.

For the audition reel there where rules I had to follow:
15 min of music. Live takes only. We recorded all in the same small room live with one take of each of the 3 songs recorded. No overdubs, no drop ins. Solos as is. No time /tempo adjustments ie beat detective. No click track used either lol. Really raw. No samples/replacing drums.

I used 12 tracks/mics in total, 8 for the drums, 1 for each guitar, one DI for bass and 1 vocal.
I kept the mix simple, a little EQ and Comp and gating, one verb one delay.

The band was happy with it but I would love to get some feed back on this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10584477/last chance.mp3

Cheers.

if I was 15, and this was my bands first recording, I'd be SUPER stoked.

I like that kick. Info?

Trying to gather as much info about tracking REAL drums as that's what my band will be doing very soon, on our own, and I cant seem to get a really great kick sound without adding way too much high end in post-EQ.

Welcome to Bump City! Population: pikachu69

Don't know what I am suppose to say really, you can strive in two directions when it comes to this genre of music. One is towards the "true", raw-sounding shit that never leaves the basement, and the other is the perfectly quantized, well-produced offspring of the recording wonderland that hits the stores (or torrent-sites these days). Well, since you were limited to recording them live (and no drum quantizing?! i mean, come on!) you couldn't really get it tight and professional-sounding, so the only thing we can really judge here is their performance, which was awesome btw! And mix-wise you simply did the best you could.

Thank you guys I appreciate you taking the time to listen.

@Brian: The kick was a premier silver sparkle. I had one AKG D112 just inside the whole of the skin. Then standard kick EQ, took out mids round 500Hz, boost round 2.5Khz and 10Khz and a boost down round 75Hz and some compression via RComp hiting pretty hard, 100ms attack 5ms release 4:1 ratio taking up to 6 db off and about 4 -5db make up gain and a comp on the master drum buss taking a db or 2 off over all.
Hope that was what you were after M8 :)
Any more thoughts, I would love to here them all!
Cheers.

ahaha @bryan_kilco i thought you were being a dick until i read the OP hahaha.

but, they are suprisingly tight for 15 year old's however i feel like the guitars are like, lacking balls in the mix though. and the kick kinda falls out a little in those triplets. all things considered though its a pretty good mix