Modern old school death metal (Real drums and guitar)

theunknown1

Jul 28, 2011
Hi! This is my band Orecus. Well it´s just me and my friend but we just recorded a demo. I play the drums and bass. My friend the guitar and we shared the vocals.

Drums are almost all natural. The snare have a very little bit of sample on it.

Guitar: Single take och each side, Peavey 5150 and Orange 4x12.

Bass: soft tube bass amp room.

Vocals: Oktava mod 319, recorded into a 1176 comp and Neotek preamp.

What do you guys think? Any tips are regarding the mix are highly appreciated!

Cheers Michael!

Last edited by a moderator:
guitars are a bit boxy, you could cut some mids (maybe 460hz)
I love that kick sound, it's fat sunding ;)
Cool music dude ;)

Thanks alot dude! Glad you like it.
Yeah the guitars are maybe a bit boxy, I didn´t cut much mids at all. But I kinda like it :p Maybe could cut a bit haha.
It´s funny you like the kick, because I couldent decide if I liked it myself or not. I Thought about replacing it a bit with some sample, but maybe I´ll stick with it the way it is. :)

Thanks alot dude! Glad you like it.
Yeah the guitars are maybe a bit boxy, I didn´t cut much mids at all. But I kinda like it :p Maybe could cut a bit haha.
It´s funny you like the kick, because I couldent decide if I liked it myself or not. I Thought about replacing it a bit with some sample, but maybe I´ll stick with it the way it is. :)

The kick is good sounds great and your drumming is consistent ;)
the kick seems replaced (in a good way anyway...)

I'll say the guitars are definitely a little boxy/airy sounding, but I think it fits the music/production, I feel like I'm at a live show when I listen to this. Everything sounds really good, I don't know what I'd change. The only nitpick I'll make is the lead at 1:55 or so comes in a little harsh, and it's a little loud too, but that's just me. I'm not a huge death metal fan but this track and production are great, good work.

I'll say the guitars are definitely a little boxy/airy sounding, but I think it fits the music/production, I feel like I'm at a live show when I listen to this. Everything sounds really good, I don't know what I'd change. The only nitpick I'll make is the lead at 1:55 or so comes in a little harsh, and it's a little loud too, but that's just me. I'm not a huge death metal fan but this track and production are great, good work.

Thanks alot!! That was really kind words. It´s been a long time ago since I recorded myself and my own songs, so it´s always nice to hear someone appreciate your work.

I Agree on the lead thing. That was one of the first things a wrote down to fix tomorrow. I´ll maybe try to cut a liitle low mids on the guitar and se how it fits.

Cheers!

I think if you add an extra guitar track on each side, panning the extra tracks in a bit, it'll really jump out!
The vocals seem to get buried in the mix when a lead guitar comes out. Maybe automate the reverb on the vocals back a bit so they come more forward in the mix?
And the fade-out at the end somehow starts a little suddenly. It doesn't feel like a gradual fade.
Otherwise though, I love the mix! The tune is great, too! It's got elements of newer melodic DM, with some oldschool grunt.