Trying out new tuning (AGCFAD), Heavy stuff

exzem

May 4, 2009
Sweden
I was trying out this new tuning I found out about, which is pretty cool, dunno if it has any certain name but it's basically normal tuning except for the lowest string which is tuned down 5 semitones. I.e for d standard is it AGCFAD. It makes sense cause if you do a normal powerchord on the lowest 2 strings you will get a low note + an octave(instead of 5ths with regular tuning).

I like that you can get that djenty type of sound without getting a 7 string or tuning everything ridiculously low and loosing all string tension.

Anyway I recorded this song with it. Drums are all superior 2.0 except the kick.
Bass is a cheap thomann 4 string bass.
Guitars are soloC.

Streaming: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=960121&songID=7914388

Dropbox: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1063820/wrath.mp3

How does it sound? It was hard to get any decent sound of out the bass ( 4 string bass with old stock strings does not like a low A string very well :( )

Interesting tone... interesting for SoloC too! :)

I'm interested in knowing what string gauge you've got on all strings, and what pickup you were using for this. Also, if you could describe the effect chain a little, it would be great too :)

I think the tone sounds good... can always tweak more of course, but it's a good starting point!

djent guitar sounds very nice, love it!

interesting tuning!
i think i'll try this one out too.
what string gauge have you used for this?
i'm going from 11-48 drop D to 10-52 drop C again,
maybe your tuning will work with 10-52 also.

drums sound kinda overcompressed, but who cares about drums!;) :D

cheers
S.

Pickup is Emg 81, strings are ernie ball 12-56. Guitar chain is basically 2 soloC in series both crunch using crunch channel, pic: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1063820/2xsoloC.JPG.
Impulse is s-pres8. Post Eq is hp@100hz, -1.5 db@500hz, -2.5 db@3300hz, -1.7 high shelf at 8000hz. Also there some multiband compression removing low end on palm mutes between 80-250 hz.

The tone is maybe a bit harsh sounding at the djenty type of parts so could probably remove some more high end.

Soultrash: Try it out! If it doesn't work you could always tuning everything 1 step up and try again.

Very fun tuning to play around in, like when you first discovered drop D :)

Hey!

The guitarsound is great, i like it. Yeah, it maybe a bit too harsh at some parts, but overally its good.
You tuned down a 4 string bass to A? How could you play on it?:D
The guitars and bass sounds "together".
I gonna try this tuning, sounds intresting.

Brady k: nope I'm not in a band, I just record everything myself. Thank you for your kind words!

feles: it works to tune a 4 string bass to A. But I had to tune it by ear while listening to the guitar tracks (I always track guitars before bass). The tuner simply couldn't pick up the rumble from the bass string :)

I was actually surprise how low you could tune a 4 string bass and still get a decent sound from it. Although the intonation probably sucks so you have to tune it to the song.

I had some incredibly weird settings for the bass guitar which kinda happend by mistake. I accidentaly put two bass sims in series. I first indended to have 2 bass tracks, 1 for hi end and 1 for low end, so I high passed the track at 250 hz. But later when I was about to mix the track I kinda forgot about that and only used 1 track cause I thought it sounded cool anyway :)

So the bass is basically one track, bass amp sim-> bass cab -> bass amp -> bass cab -> high pass at 250 hz. It works cause both 2 sims generate so extremely much low end so high passing at 250 hz still leaves a lot of low end left (this depends what kinda high pass filter you use i guess, I used Waves Q). Dunno if there is any point doing it like this (probably not :lol:), didn't make any comparison just kept it.

I just got the tuning from a youtube video of somebody playing an Architects song. Thought the fingering seemed weird so i checked out the tuning and tried it out (although they play it half a step lower than me).

Song sounds okay, could do with more upper-mid snarl though. And some thicker bass in the mix.

Yeah maybe the bass would sound better with some more distorted type of sound, for this type of low tuning.