Trying this cabinet impulse thing

Andrew07

Nov 5, 2006
Ok, I've searched a bit so easy on the flaming!!

My post is similar to this one, but I didn't want to hijack the thread
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...impulses-dummies-please-dont-bash-me-d-2.html

So the cabinet impulses are just that- they're simulating the sound of the cabinet. The distortion and tone will need to come from the amp, right?

I'm using a Bogner XTC and it doesn't have a Line Out, but it does have an FX Loop. From what I've read, I connect from the FX Loop out into an input on my interface or preamp. And in the computer I load the impulse in a convolution reverb plugin like Altiverb.

Now, I need to have a cabinet or some kind of load connector hooked up to the amp, or itll mess it up, right? I don't have the room for my 4x12, so could I use something like a Hot Plate? So in the Hot Plate setup, the FX Loop would still be going to my interface, the amp's speaker out would be going to the Hot Plate, which is turned on but not connected to anything.
appreciate the help, guys

Hey there ...

YES, you will need a load or you will fuck up your amp!
THD states, that the Hot Plate is the perfect dummy-load, so yes, that should work.

Then you've got two options:
- use the fx-out, so you only get the pre-amp-signal or
- use the line-out of the hot plate so you will get "everything" that comes out of the amp

You should try what works best. I guess the signal of the fx-out would be more authentic as impulses are power-amp, cabinet and everything between cab and DAW.
But hey, music is not science, so try out, what works best for you. I tried out the preamp-out of my 6505 and the fx-out and I liked the preamp-out better.

By the way ... it works like a charm ;)

cool, thanks for the response dude!

i know NOTHING about electronics or how amps work, so bare with me. Basically you fuck up your amp when not using a cab or load cause all that amp power is going thru the amp wearing on the fuses (or tubes or something). So you hook it up to a hot plate and that absorbs that amp juice. Does it matter that a cab isn't connected to the hot plate though?

As I said, THD states, that the Hot Plate is the perfect "dummy load". It has a dummy load/no speaker mode-switch!

Basically imagine 100Watts of power (or whatever your amp is capable of) that has to be released. Either as noise (cabinet) or as heat (HOT plate - hence the name). I think we got a lot of dudes up here that can describe that whole dummy load-stuff better than me...

If you use the fx send and connect that to your soundcard you can leave your amp on stand-by so you dont need to connect it to a cab.

I have recorded like that with my Blackmore a few times and the amp still works fine.

The fx send of my DSL doesnt seem to work though for some reason. I get nothing recorded when i use it ??

Anyway, you dont need a cab or a hotplate. Just leave your amp on standby and you have easy silent recording

Savo is correct - Just turn the POWER on only, not the STANDBY and you won't have to have a cabinet hooked up. Totally silent recording :headbang:

Savo - I said this in another thread but I'll repeat it here...not all amps allow that method to be done. Dunno why, but they just do. Most of my amps I've owned allowed it, but a couple of them did not. I think some amps do not allow sound to pass through the FX SEND unless there is also a connection to the FX RETURN to complete the loop...I've been meaning to test this theory but all the amps I have now allow me to record FX SEND. Try that out some time. Connect a cable from your FX SEND to your interface/preamp/whatever and connect a cable to the FX RETURN (that cable not attached to anything, just plugged in to the jack) and see if your FX SEND works as it should for using impulses.

~e.a

I think I've tried using the FX send on standby once, and i couldnt hear anything until standby was off.

found the guitarhack and mesa4x12 impulses and i'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow or sunday!

Savo is correct - Just turn the POWER on only, not the STANDBY and you won't have to have a cabinet hooked up. Totally silent recording :headbang:

Savo - I said this in another thread but I'll repeat it here...not all amps allow that method to be done. Dunno why, but they just do. Most of my amps I've owned allowed it, but a couple of them did not. I think some amps do not allow sound to pass through the FX SEND unless there is also a connection to the FX RETURN to complete the loop...I've been meaning to test this theory but all the amps I have now allow me to record FX SEND. Try that out some time. Connect a cable from your FX SEND to your interface/preamp/whatever and connect a cable to the FX RETURN (that cable not attached to anything, just plugged in to the jack) and see if your FX SEND works as it should for using impulses.

~e.a

Thanks for that. I might try putting a cable into the FX return when i get home and see if it works. I wanted to try having both amps on a recording for a while now :headbang:

Well since the talk of the hotplate came up here I guess i'll ask. Does anyone know if you can use a 16 ohm hotplate with a lower ohm rated amp? It says on their website that you need to match the ohms but I know you can hook up a higher rated cab (ie 16 ohm cab to a 4/8 ohm amp with no problems) so I would think that if you can do it with a cab then you can do it with a hotplate too right?

From the 4 page manual included in the Box:

"Q: Can I still use the Hot Plate if it has a different impedance than my amp?
ONLY if the impedance of the HOT PLATE is EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN that of the amp. However, this will lessen the effectiveness of the Hot Plate's tone controls."

Hope that helps.