Trying to achieve a 'dillinger escape plan' sounding mix

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
Anyway right now I'm working on a new song of mine (i'm gonna re-do the vocals because they suck) and i REALLY like how raw sounding and in your face the album 'Miss Machine' by The Dillinger Escape Plan is, in particualr the tracks 'Sunshine the werewolf' and 'Baby's first coffin' I dont suppose any of you guys have tips on that in your face raw sound?

I was mixing an opening band for Dillinger and saw Ben using guyatone overdrive pedal with Mesa Dual Rec. And the sound from the cab was exactly like on Miss Mashine. I like the sound on that record more then on Ire Works because it's not that polished and crystal-clear.

I've had a go at trying to get my vocals mixed the way they are on that album but i can't seem to get it, I put a tiny bit of distortion on so its only a tad noticealbe , cut and pasted the vocals and delayed one by about 40ms and then brought it down a few cents with a pitch shift pedal in guitar rig 3 but there's still something that needs to be done

They don't use much gain at all on their Rectifiers. It's a pretty bright distortion...definitely active p'ups. Channel 3 Modern, diode, bold, Bass 9:00, Mids 12:00, Treble 2:00, Presence 11:00, Gain 11:00 should probably get you in the ballpark for their distorted sound.

Midrangy distorted bass. An insanely good drummer helps.

Their touring FOH guy ran sound for my band this past Saturday. The 2nd guitarist is actually playing a Roadking live.

I was mixing an opening band for Dillinger and saw Ben using guyatone overdrive pedal with Mesa Dual Rec. And the sound from the cab was exactly like on Miss Mashine. I like the sound on that record more then on Ire Works because it's not that polished and crystal-clear.

I think he uses the OD pedal for the parts where the guitars are truly distorted and nasty. His normal tone is pretty clean, though.

+1 to the guitars being pretty clean, at least for the genre...it's what make those crazy tech fills of theirs have so much articulation and definition

as for mixing an album to sound like that...hell if i know - i'm not DEP