TUBE FANATICS

EdguyRocks said:
The stock tubes in a 5150 are Sovteks...The 5150 has a fixed bias which means you can just pop them in and go. If you get it modded to have an adjustable bias then yes you must bias it everytime a tube change is in order. If you don't know what you are doing don't do it. Take it to a tech.
I'm assuming they are 6l6's?
I don't know what bias means/is or adjustable bias or what it realy does.
More googleing. :bah:

Radd said:
I'm assuming they are 6l6's?
I don't know what bias means/is or adjustable bias or what it realy does.
More googleing. :bah:

in short, the bias is what controls how much voltage runs thru the tubes...on most amps this is adjustable, meaning you have to have the amp biased each time you replace the tubes (this ensures that your tubes are getting the proper voltage) the downside to this is that it can be a pain, and you have to take the amp to a tech genereally for a tube change...the upside is that you get the most tone out of the amp/tubes; as said above, if you don't know how to bias an amp, DON'T TRY IT!!! it could be dangerous for you, and harmful to your gear

an amp like the 5150 is what's called fixed bias, it has no adjustment to control the voltage; the level is set really low, so any tubes you install will run properly...the upside here is that you don't have to worry about biasing the amp everytime you change tubes, the downside is that you don't really get the best tone your amp COULD be getting because the tubes aren't running at the optimal setting

5150's (in addition to their killer tone) are popular touring amps because they're built like tanks (believe me they can take A LOT of abuse) and you don't have to worry about finding a tech if you need to swap tubes

cobrahead1030 said:
in short, the bias is what controls how much voltage runs thru the tubes...on most amps this is adjustable, meaning you have to have the amp biased each time you replace the tubes (this ensures that your tubes are getting the proper voltage) the downside to this is that it can be a pain, and you have to take the amp to a tech genereally for a tube change...the upside is that you get the most tone out of the amp/tubes; as said above, if you don't know how to bias an amp, DON'T TRY IT!!! it could be dangerous for you, and harmful to your gear

an amp like the 5150 is what's called fixed bias, it has no adjustment to control the voltage; the level is set really low, so any tubes you install will run properly...the upside here is that you don't have to worry about biasing the amp everytime you change tubes, the downside is that you don't really get the best tone your amp COULD be getting because the tubes aren't running at the optimal setting

5150's (in addition to their killer tone) are popular touring amps because they're built like tanks (believe me they can take A LOT of abuse) and you don't have to worry about finding a tech if you need to swap tubes

Thank you so much for this info cobrahead 1030. You just saved me hours of searching and research and trying to make sense of it all!