Tube preamp clips and mic comparison - Peavey Rockmaster, Kitty Hawk Quattro, Garland

ProjectHamsterdam

God of Emptiness
Nov 12, 2007
Bulgaria
Now you can get the second batch of samples (using Guitar Hack's impulses) here:

http://www.soundclick.com/theprojecthamsterdam

Hopefully these are a bit better (well. . . excluding the Peavey :zombie:) Let me know what you think. :) 10x!!

- Garland tube preamp (based on the Dual Rectifier / SLO100)
- Peavey Rockmaster
- Kitty Hawk Quattro

EMG 81 into an SD-1 boosting the input of each preamp

- - - - - - - -
OLD SAMPLES (Miced single V30) E-Snips link
24mb .rar archive file - download and unzip to your hdd for access to all files
- - - - - - - -

Dude this is fucking awesome. I have been meaning to write to Garland and see how much a rack preamp with two channels, Dual Recto and SLO100 voiced, would cost me! I like the tones it gets, the SLO100 is just as I expected it to be. Also, I think I'll be looking for a Peavey RockMaster on eBay in the next few months :)

~006

Thanks!

Garland makes some sick amps - very solid and trustworthy too. Mine is kinda fugly, but that's because I wanted it this way. They are kinda popular now, at least in my neck of the woods, so the preorder list is usually booked for months ahead (and I'm glad to see that too). :)

I don't know if I have made the amp justice, though, with my clips. I find that I shoot for a certain type of sound with all the gear I use, so everything sounds similar to an extent. I think I can achieve all the tones I need with any of the preamps I have and some Curve EQ. . .That really gets me thinking. Do we need tons of gear to sound good after all? Guess not. :erk: (what a heretical thought)

I think I should try quad-tracking with a little less gain, I found that my clips have that over-compressed feel to them (partially brought on by the EMG81).

Do you think they are overgained? Are most of them overly dark? I mix on a pair of crappy Alesis MK2 passives that kinda lack the low-end, so I find I always add too much bass to my mixes to compensate for this.

PS: Thanks, Keith! I am a noob at this, so I am looking for ways to improve. Do you find something in particular that you do not like?

Most of the clips are quite boxy. I didn't like the EV mic, it seems to have harsher highs. How about some clips with impulses?

Yep, boxy is the right word. I'm guessing this is due to the homebrew cab I'm using - the enclosure on it is really sub-par.

I will make some clips with GH's impulses and post them for comparison tonight.

OK, some new clips with Guitar Hack's impulses (check out the first post):

http://www.soundclick.com/theprojecthamsterdam

Actually, I made the Peavey turn out all shitty like. . . sounds great plugged into the cab, but direct. . . thin and fizzy. Dunno what happened. :lol:

PS: BTW all the clips are quad-tracked. I used Guitar Hack's "Edge-1" impulse from the folder called 'Louder JJ Power Tube Impulses Samples'. This time I used my reamp box, saved a lot of time and made the files more consistent.

To my ears the Garland SLO100 rules supreme, followed by the Dual Rec (the clips could use some more highs, but I'm still digging it) then the Kitty Hawk. Check it out, the differences are really apparent this time around.

The kitty hawk has a pretty cool character, although it also has a lot of muddy low mids. The peavey does sound weird for some reason, did you try different settings? The Garland SLO is a bit too scooped and fuzzy. I liked the DR the most.

Yeah, I think there was a problem with the Peavey or it doesn't like my reamp box or something. Actually the only settings that kinda worked are really really wrong, like bass maxed out, mids scooped all the way and highs really low. And then you get the sound in the clips - really thin and fizzy, and also the output signal was very weak on all 3 possible outs, whereas in my experience it shouldn't be like that at all.

I shall investigate, but yesterday it was too late to fiddle, like 2am or sth.

Also as you can guess, I was already kinda tired, so I need to check out those tones again with a clear head, preferrably after getting some sleep. :loco: Perhaps they will be improved in the third release. :err:

It's a custom amp manufacturer from eastern Europe. There's a long list of orders though, so you can't expect to just buy one withouth waiting at least a couple of months. I could send you the email address if you are interested.

Thanks Joe, appreciate your feedback.

Yeah, Garland's custom shop is very small, actually it consists of only one person (the master builder), who does everything on his own. The great thing is that nothing is rushed and no efforts are spared - he just won't release a product until he is satisfied with it. Hence the long waiting list - the guy can just not handle all the orders he is getting. :loco:

The very strange thing is that I have ordered my custom amp through a message board just like this one - I don't even have his e-mail, or telephone no., everythig was done by personal messages. Yet, he made just what I wanted and there are a ton of options to choose from (from the circuit designs to the front grill and knobs your amp will have). Plus, he's a very nice chap to talk to as well.

The price depends on the features you choose. . . Being a cheapskate I only wanted a very basic rack pre/poweramp as a workhorse for my studio. The pre is housed in a sturdy 1U 19' box and has 2 channels - clean (based on some Fender amp (forgot which one) - it's really clean and chimy) and high-gain (it can switch between Dual Rectifier and SLO100 type of sound with the flick of a switch - you can check out the samples even though I don't think they are good enough now due to my incompetence in recording, lol - looking to improve). Being a metal guitar player, I skipped on the crunch channel (usually standard for his preamps) - I'm thinking I shouldn't have, but I am completely blown away by the 2 ch pre as it is anyways, so one solid sounding hi-gain channel is good enough for me.

Compared to my other two rack pre-s (they are both hand-made - in the USA and in Germany) I find the Garland suits me best, possibly because it was custom made to my preference. :lol:

Check out Shadow's posts, he had some pics and samples of his Garland - lookin' good.

These days and seeing your interest I'm thinking of starting an unofficial fan website for those amps (I am not affiliated with them in any way, hence the 'unofficial' bit) - it's a shame they don't have one up yet (but one guy can only do so much, you know - and I prefer him concentrating on his amps). However, I have to first make some good-sounding samples, perhaps some instrumental full mixes too - I think the samples section should be the first and most important thing on any amp-builder's site. So your opinions on whether the samples are decent is vital - I know there are a lot of people on this board with some good monitors and ears, so keep the comments coming guys.

Would also be a great learning experience for me, so thanks a bunch!

Thanks Joe, appreciate your feedback.

Yeah, Garland's custom shop is very small, actually it consists of only one person (the master builder), who does everything on his own. The great thing is that nothing is rushed and no efforts are spared - he just won't release a product until he is satisfied with it. Hence the long waiting list - the guy can just not handle all the orders he is getting. :loco:

The very strange thing is that I have ordered my custom amp through a message board just like this one - I don't even have his e-mail, or telephone no., everythig was done by personal messages. Yet, he made just what I wanted and there are a ton of options to choose from (from the circuit designs to the front grill and knobs your amp will have). Plus, he's a very nice chap to talk to as well.

The price depends on the features you choose. . . Being a cheapskate I only wanted a very basic rack pre/poweramp as a workhorse for my studio. The pre is housed in a sturdy 1U 19' box and has 2 channels - clean (based on some Fender amp (forgot which one) - it's really clean and chimy) and high-gain (it can switch between Dual Rectifier and SLO100 type of sound with the flick of a switch - you can check out the samples even though I don't think they are good enough now due to my incompetence in recording, lol - looking to improve). Being a metal guitar player, I skipped on the crunch channel (usually standard for his preamps) - I'm thinking I shouldn't have, but I am completely blown away by the 2 ch pre as it is anyways, so one solid sounding hi-gain channel is good enough for me.

Compared to my other two rack pre-s (they are both hand-made - in the USA and in Germany) I find the Garland suits me best, possibly because it was custom made to my preference. :lol:

Check out Shadow's posts, he had some pics and samples of his Garland - lookin' good.

These days and seeing your interest I'm thinking of starting an unofficial fan website for those amps (I am not affiliated with them in any way, hence the 'unofficial' bit) - it's a shame they don't have one up yet (but one guy can only do so much, you know - and I prefer him concentrating on his amps). However, I have to first make some good-sounding samples, perhaps some instrumental full mixes too - I think the samples section should be the first and most important thing on any amp-builder's site. So your opinions on whether the samples are decent is vital - I know there are a lot of people on this board with some good monitors and ears, so keep the comments coming guys.

Would also be a great learning experience for me, so thanks a bunch!

Cool thanks man, got a contact for him??

Gonna listen to your clips again...

-Joe

Sure, I will just ask him for his e-mail, no problem. I think Shadow_Walker has it already, so it also might be faster to p.m. him as well - I think he will readily oblige. ;) But I will speak to the guy anyways, so I'll revert with some news too. I can send you some more pics and samples of his work (not only of my pre, but some that look better and have different design circuit-wise as well).

BTW, thanks for stopping by, appreciate all your help. :Smokin:

Sure, I will just ask him for his e-mail, no problem. I think Shadow_Walker has it already, so it also might be faster to p.m. him as well - I think he will readily oblige. ;) But I will speak to the guy anyways, so I'll revert with some news too. I can send you some more pics and samples of his work (not only of my pre, but some that look better and have different design circuit-wise as well).

BTW, thanks for stopping by, appreciate all your help. :Smokin:

Oh it's no trouble man...I just wanted to save it for the future. Where is he located??

woops: Just saw above...lol

-Joe