TUESDAY THE SKY: Drift, ft FATES WARNING's JIM MATHEOS

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
FATES WARNING FOUNDING GUITARIST JIM MATHEOS TO RELEASE DEBUT ALBUM FROM NEW PROJECT TUESDAY THE SKY

"...Jim Matheos, founding guitarist of legendary US progressive metallers Fates Warning, has announced the release of the debut album from his new ambient instrumental rock project, Tuesday The Sky. The first full-length album, Drift, is set for release on June 30th via InsideOut Music, and sees Matheos expanding the boundaries of his sound ever further....."

tuedayalbumapril.jpg

I have this and it's very enjoyable. One of the reasons I love the latter-day FW records, even more so than the "classic" period, is the dripping sense of forlorn atmosphere throughout, and I love this because it dives headlong into the atmospheric element of Matheos' songwriting. With that said, this is a bit less gloomy than Fates, with some uplifting and calming ethereal moments. There is only one section of the album that could be called metal and not many that would be considered rock. It's somewhere in between ambient, post-rock and prog and stubbornly resists any one specific label (though if I gave it one, I'd say post-rock). Largely metal fans might like it but I also have a large collection of music like this and get right onto its wavelength.

Incidentally, if you haven't heard God is an Astronaut's music yet, going by this album they have a pretty talented drummer. If you have, then expect something like that but proggier and a little darker.

Last edited: