Tuning drums according to the song's key?

tl;dr I always choose samples based on the song key. Not necessarily the song's root note, but to a note that sounds good.

When the huge fills hit, the kit is unified and super cohesive, unlike any sample collection I ever built. Makes mixing a hell of a lot easier too when you can plan around the notes as they appear and not only use your ears, but musical theory knowledge to balance pitch and timbre.

Previous comments recanted. If you're not tuning drums, you're wrong.

I'd love to hear the examples of that exceptional tuning in a mix, good Sir. Furthermore, I'm sure that people will kill for the samples that sound better then any other sample library on the market ;)

Seriously speaking though, your post sounds like an overstatement.

Each drum depending on it's wood i.e maple-birch-mahogany- bubinga etc will yield slightly different result's as it's character (the properties of the drum) behave differently i.e more resonance more attack more low end sustain etc.
Each drum also has it's own fundamental note (pitch) and if you tap the drum shell you can hear it. Tuning the drum to this note is ideal.Each drum is different.

I have been experimenting with different tuning on a 7 piece Gretsch Birch kit and what i have found sound's really pleasant and musical in a rock context is tuning to perfect fourth's.

So what i have is this and i personally like it.

20' Kick drum tuned to 1F
Snare drum tuned to 3G#
8' tom 3G#
10' tom 3E
12' tom 2B
14' tom 2F#
16' tom 2C#

Perfect fifth's is also very favorable as are 3rd's, among many musicians across different styles.
It's been stated already tuning drum's is of utmost importance especially when working within a musical setting,it's the foundation on which all other musical part's get layed /layered on,so credit to you
for asking the question and taking the time to investigate your options.

Hope that my reply is of some use to you.

P.S it would make perfect sense to use it on Metal.

Best of luck.

I'd love to hear the examples of that exceptional tuning in a mix, good Sir. Furthermore, I'm sure that people will kill for the samples that sound better then any other sample library on the market ;)

Seriously speaking though, your post sounds like an overstatement.

Wait for Harvey to finish Never See Death's single. I'm his drum tech.

Also, I never said they were better than anything on the market. They are better than my sample library because the samples I find are for specific purposes i.e. attack, room sound.