J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Turisas – The Varangian Way
Century Media – CD77580-1 – June 18, 2007
By Wayward_Son

turisas.jpg

Is anyone else tired of this type of music coming from Finland? You know, pompous songs with pompous keyboards or “traditional” instruments, harsh, clean and chant-like vocals, polished productions, and emotionally empty execution. If you are not bored with this formula, you must be one of those poor souls who have purchased the 2007 releases from such Finns as Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, and now Turisas. This writer had the duty (that is what it feels like when the album is less than inspired) to review the latest albums from Ensiferum and Moonsorrow. That is two strikes (sue me, I am a baseball fan). Let us see how Turisas perform.

It is (pseudo) epic. It is pompous. It is polished. Yes, it is Turisas. An admission must be made: This writer somewhat enjoyed the band’s debut, Battle Metal. It possessed some stirring (yet cheesy) songs such as 'One More', 'Midnight Sunrise', and 'Among Ancestors', but considerably lacked any consistency. Also, the replay value was next to nil. Now, Turisas delivers The Varangian Way. And again, the more things change, the more they stay the same…

It would have been a welcome, refreshing surprise for The Varangian Way to have been a grandiose experience. Something a bit unorthodox for this writer’s tastes is always welcome with open arms, as one can listen to only so much black metal. Unfortunately, The Varangian Way suffers the same fate as Battle Metal: A few gems found within a lot of trash. The album opener, 'To Holmgard and Beyond', is a fun romp with a stirring chorus. It is 'Miklagard Overture', the closer, that steals the show. This song has a majestic, almost regal quality to it. The choirs add a certain panache to the whole thing, but always coming back to the booming chorus.

This writer is not a fan of choruses made straight from velveeta. Something about a few of Turisas’ songs, though, are so damn catchy that even a crabby old man like yours truly has to smile at the sheer absurdity and plain entertainment of it. Perhaps that is what Turisas is aiming for?

Faithful Reader, Turisas are not the saviors of metal despite what some mainstream metal English rag (it starts with a “T”) likes to claim. It is more of the same. Sure, if you like the music from those bands listed above as well as Bal-Sagoth, then The Varangian Way just might be your album of the year along with the other four releases made from the same recipe. It is tolerable, nothing more. Strike three.

Official Turisas Website
Official Century Media Website

I can respect your opinion but I thought Turisas really matured since Battle Metal... There were some awesome songs on Battle Metal, but you're right, there's a lot of less favorable tracks thrown in there as well. I thought Varangian Way was a lot softer for the most part, and I actually enjoyed it, but it really doesn't have too much replay value.

You forgot Battlelore with Evernight. :)