TV series "Over There"

Neapolitan

New Metal Member
Aug 5, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
Has anyone seen advertisements for that new series that will air on FX? It's a drama series about the War in Iraq. Does anyone besides me think that this is utterly tasteless and obscene? To treat something so serious so trivially as to make a TV show out of it? To glorify war? To produce it for entertainment purposes? Frankly, I think it's bullshit and I hope other sensible people do as well.

And it kinda reminds me of:

"The media loves the latest tragic suicide
They exploit it, then package it and profit from the people who die
Look at the world, look at the hell, look at the hate that we’ve made
Look at the final product, a world in slow decay"

\m/

Since when are they glorifying war? They're telling a story, pure and simple.

We might as well cancel The Shield because they're glorifying being a corrupt cop or cancel Rescue Me because they're glorifying being a drunken firefighter.

Skeksis said:
Since when are they glorifying war? They're telling a story, pure and simple.

We might as well cancel The Shield because they're glorifying being a corrupt cop or cancel Rescue Me because they're glorifying being a drunken firefighter.

It's hard for me to believe that if you had a son or daughter die in Iraq that you would say that. It is not the same as The Shield or Rescue Me. We're not talking about a single individual here. We're talking about a war where thousands of people have lost their lives. They aren't making a documentary here either. They're not honoring the dead or providing an inside look into the life of a soldier or an Iraqi. They're making a drama series and the sole purpose is to make money. I find that dishonorable.

Neapolitan said:
Has anyone seen advertisements for that new series that will air on FX? It's a drama series about the War in Iraq. Does anyone besides me think that this is utterly tasteless and obscene? To treat something so serious so trivially as to make a TV show out of it? To glorify war? To produce it for entertainment purposes? Frankly, I think it's bullshit and I hope other sensible people do as well.

And it kinda reminds me of:

"The media loves the latest tragic suicide
They exploit it, then package it and profit from the people who die
Look at the world, look at the hell, look at the hate that we’ve made
Look at the final product, a world in slow decay"

\m/
Agreed :)

ok all good shows i am a tv whore but not the point think of all the good movies out there that are amazing that deal with wars i mean granted they could have at least waited till this one is over but seriously havent you ever seen deer hunter or saving private ryan or any movie having to do with war ..i wathched "over there""for the first time last week and i have to say it was written well but i sat there the whole time going "oh my god" i was so disturbed but at the same time i think i need that its sadly the closest most of us will ever get to understanding what its like not that that compares. i hear stories all the time i have a cousin who is a black hawk pilot he has shown us pics of really disturbing things its interesting too see it on tv even if it is tasteless or whater i dont know sorry about the babble

Neapolitan said:
It's hard for me to believe that if you had a son or daughter die in Iraq that you would say that. It is not the same as The Shield or Rescue Me. We're not talking about a single individual here. We're talking about a war where thousands of people have lost their lives. They aren't making a documentary here either. They're not honoring the dead or providing an inside look into the life of a soldier or an Iraqi. They're making a drama series and the sole purpose is to make money. I find that dishonorable.

It's just a drama show, I think you're reading way too much into this. Should we ban war movies as well? Where does the line end?

If you have someone you know over in Iraq, I wish for him/her to return safely but I still fail to see how FX is being disrespectful to the soldiers.