In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Twin Method - The Volume of Self
Crash Music - CMU61175 - June 13, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
Twin_Method.jpg

It's hard for me to take seriously a band with neon-colored mohawks and dreadlocks and tours with Drowning Pool. The good thing is, they're not quite as bad as they look. Despite a nu-metal flavor, they have catchy vocal melodies I can’t deny are enjoyable. The screams aren't always distasteful, but it can be too much at times. Because the first track, "And Yet Inside I’m Screaming," is exclusively screaming (coincidence?), it's an immediate turnoff. From then on they mix it up, the clean vocals taking precedence to some extent. It's songs like "Pedigree" that make me want to like them – I really do – but I'm just not feeling it on the rest of the album.

Aside from the vocals, Twin Method offers nothing when it comes to musicianship. These are the kinds of songs that anyone with a tuned down guitar could write with little effort. They're just another band trying to be metal, and with that catchy hook in singing, there's no doubt they will do well on their tour with those other nu-metalers. And as is common in this style, there isn’t enough uniqueness to separate them from the rest.

5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Twin Method Official Website
Crash Music Official Website