two compressors on bass guitar?

-J-

May 7, 2007
I'm finding I seem to like two compressors on my recent bass guitar recording (first through a blockfish, then a vanilla). Seems a little overkill, or....maybe not? Do you dudes ever use two? Should they be the same compressor twice, or do ya mix it up?

Once again, I'm using the Antress Modern Deep Purple on the bass too - seems to always add a nice gainy drive. Anyone else like it? The high fidelity and turbo master modes kick my bass guitar in the arse.

No clips just yet....the mix is a fledgling that can't leave the nest without a few more feathers.

I'm quite fond of a UAD 1176LN followed by LA-2A myself. The 1176 is more aggressive quick a fast attack and short-ish release with the LA-2A much less aggressive and taking 1-2 db off the top at most.

I'm quite fond of a UAD 1176LN followed by LA-2A myself. The 1176 is more aggressive quick a fast attack and short-ish release with the LA-2A much less aggressive and taking 1-2 db off the top at most.

I'd love to goof with one of those LA-2A's. :Smokin:

I don't know. Your basically compressing your compressed audio when you get to the 2nd compressor. When it comes to bass I usually just ride the fader when necessary. Like to hear with and without tho.

I've been running a multiband comp lately into a very gentle second comp taking about 1.5 db off. The multiband is really taming the nasty pick squeak without killing the high mids. I start with Andy's C4 settings for gits and adjust to taste.

I usually use 2 different McDsp Compressor bank plugs on my bass tracks.

1. Set to limit and a super high threshold. Only does any reduction when there's a big peak (like a slap bassist gets a little crazy)

2. A more regular compression setting to smooth the bass out a little bit

Then I usually do alot of volume automation to get all the notes to be even.