J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Type O Negative – Dead Again
Steamhammer – SPV 9919U – March 13, 2007
By Wayward_Son

type_o.jpg

Some of you, my Faithful Readers, might be surprised that this writer enjoys the back catalogue of Type O Negative quite thoroughly. From the Canivore-esque beginnings of Slow, Deep, and Hard to the solid Bloody Kisses and onward to the band’s masterpiece, October Rust, and almost equally as mesmerizing World Coming Down, this writer is no stranger to the Type O Negative universe. Admittedly, Life is Killing Me was a bit of a disappointment. The band had seemed to lose focus, struggling in vain to be outright humorous, while losing their tongue-in-cheek panache. Or it could be that the songs just were not up to the standards the quartet had set for themselves.

So with the pre-listening buzz saying that it was a “return to roots” sound that pervaded Dead Again, it was with increased skepticism that this writer placed Type O Negative album number seven in his stereo, put on the headphones, and heard.

First of all, Dead Again is hardly a return to the early sound of the band. Some songs, such as ‘Tripping a Blind Man’ and ’Some Stupid Tomorrow’, do feature a tinge of the Slow, Deep, and Hard days, but it is hardly prevalent throughout the entirety. In fact, musically, Dead Again is probably most similar to Bloody Kisses with a bit of October Rust’s pop sensibility.

This writer should love that combination. Something is amiss here, however. Most of the songs are pleasant enough, some are fantastic, and many are just there. This, unfortunately, has been quite common within the Type O Negative discography (excepting October Rust) throughout their career. They have a knack for spoiling the listener with brilliant songs surrounded by forgettable duds. Such is life.

This writer is hardly telling you, Faithful Reader, to ignore Dead Again. ’Tripping a Blind Man’, ’The Profit of Doom’, ’An Ode to Locksmiths’, and the strong closer, ’Hail and Farewell to Britain’ could all be considered quality Type O Negative. The latter two are this writer’s favorites, with vintage Peter Steele croons on ’An Ode to Locksmiths’ and a beautiful album-closing chorus on ’Hail and Farewell to Britain’. It is tripe such as opener ’Dead Again’, ’Halloween in Heaven’, and ’Some Stupid Tomorrow’ that manage to ruin the flow of an otherwise decent return for the Brooklyn quartet.

Dead Again is most certainly an album for current Type O Negative fans. This writer does not see it converting those unfamiliar with the band. All the ingredients are there. Dead Again just lacks some of the flash and sparkle the band brought to their mid-career albums.

Despite all this, a fan this writer remains.

Official Type O Negative Website
Official Steamhammer Website

this albums got a lot of punkish tunes mixed with Type O flavoring of Doomish weirdness and some 70's rock n roll riffs. its ok Peter Steel is still the dude tho ...great lyrics.

Didn't really like this one at first but it's grown on me alot. This is unusual for Type O because their albums get me striaght away. Much better than "Life is Killing Me" and I prefer it to "Bloody Kisses".

The review up there sums this CD up very well

I picked it up today and find it quiet enjoyable.

Of course it is no October Rust or World Coming Down but it is actually a well structured album with enjoyable songs and a lot more skill in the musicianship then previous efforts (as evidenced in the keyboard and guitar solos).

Pete's vocals also hit the spot once more.

All in all, a good album.
Not an instant classic or the best overall but enjoyable and fun all the same.

Fantastic Band- Fantastic Album.

Peter Steele is one of the best lyricists in the business and is a great songwriter, I may be a bit biast because I am a huge fan, but this album really is great, I never expected it to sound like older Type O which I love because the band said so themselves, I dont think they can do wrong.

For me, this is my favourite TON album and I think it is their best yet. I picked this up not expecting too much, but the more I listen, the more I am amazed.

Where as I find on the other TON albums, they have some good tracks and some 'fillers'. For me, every track on Dead Again is awesome and the transitions with punk to doom elements is fantastic. I think this is their heaviest release as well and nice to see that Dead Again doesn't have any of those silly filler tracks like the other albums had.

Listening to this, it seems as though TON was 'reserved' while on Roadrunner, now being on SPV, it is like they have the freedom to be as heavy and outgoing as they want and if they keep doing stuff like this, I think I am going to be more amazed with them as time goes on.

This album is much faster then most Type O albums, its more gothic punk rock then gothic rock like their other albums. Personally I believe Bloody Kisses was Type O's best album, October rust (from the thanking you for buying it to the mock pop) was very faux-commercial, in many ways its a gothic pop masterpiece but for the band they have done much better albeit less accessable material. World Coming Down, though hated by Peter due to the pains it caused him, has a certain melancholy and heaviness about it. Sure it sounds a bit like I am going on about their career right now but that is the best way to explain that every Type O album is different and direct comparisons are hard, every album has a different effect and will appeal to different people while retaining the faifthful. I dont get the hatred of Life is Killing Me either, its a good middle ground between doom and pop.

Halloween in Heaven is incredibly... upbeat, for Type O Negative but the addition of female vocals and the changes in it are what keep the band fresh, they dont rehack the same old material. If you read what the songs are about, it is actually a tribute to Dimebag Darrel (an ex-good friend of Peters), he just excluded his name because he didn't want to exploit his death like certain other bands (Nickelback).