__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Threshold – Dead Reckoning
Nuclear Blast – NB1738-2 – 26th March 2007
By Chris Kee

deadreckoning.jpg

To some people the ‘progressive’ tag can be off putting, but it’s immediately apparent from opening track ’Slipstream’ that Threshold are focussed firmly on the ‘song’ and not on some ego-massaging exercise in displaying their personal skills. ’Slipstream’ boasts a stunning combination of driving riffs and a chorus that wouldn’t sound out of place on a Magnum album. It’s lead heavy but supremely melodic and adorned with an excellent guitar solo – the kind of solo that compliments the music surrounding it, adding an extra dimension to the song rather than drawing attention away from it. Nor is this glorious opening gambit a fluke; Dead Reckoning continues with song after song of surprisingly hard riffing, sublime melodies and top notch individual performances.

Speaking of individual performances special mention must be made of Andrew ‘Mac’ McDermott’s vocals which are of the very highest quality and give a sheen of genuine class to every song. There are many highlights throughout this breathtaking album; ’This Is Your Life’, ’Elusive’ with its cool, wild keyboard work and great guitar solo, reminding me of a kind of armour-plated Yes and the exquisite ’Safe To Fly’. Perhaps most impressive of all though is the album’s grand centre-piece ’Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams’ which toys with early Genesis-like melodies before growing into a spectacular tour de force and a thrilling showcase for the exceptional rhythm section of Steve Anderson and Johanne James. In Dead Reckoning Threshold have created a collection of memorable, exciting songs that deserves to take them to new levels of success.

Official Threshold Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website

I think you pretty much hit this head on. I enjoy the album. Karl Grooms guitar work is incendiary throughout, strong musicianship by all members. Mcdermott's vocals are very good, although I'm reminded of 80's rock in the vocal choruses. And that is something I'm not really fond of. I've heard others say Threshold sounds like Dream Theatre or Nevermore. I can pick up the DT comparison, but I don't hear any Nevermore. I think a better comparison would be to "Nightingale" The Breathing Shadow part IIII. Coincendentally, Dan Swano does some "growled" vocals on Slipstream and Elusive. I'd give this a 8/10.