Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
TYR – ERIC THE RED
Tutl - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

coveretrfront.JPG

One of the biggest and most unexpected suprises of 2003 has been Eric the Red the newest release by Tyr. Tyr is a band that hails from the Faroe Islands and their lyrical themes undoubtedly pay homage to the Old Norse Gods and to the lives of the Vikings. Their music (composed mostly by singer and guitarist Heri Joensen) is a mixture rock and roll, metal and folk music infused with plenty of melody, grand vocal arrangements and lyrics in English, Danish and Faroese. But wait if that is not enough, Tyr also manage to re-arrange traditional Faroese, Irish and Danish songs into modern and powerful songs embellished with plenty of the grand vocal arrangements and always led by Heri’s beautiful and powerful melodic voice.

Filled with plenty of power chords, blistering guitar leads, folk music arrangements and the ever presence of the ancient Faroese traditions, the atmosphere created in Eric the Red is absolutely breathtaking. I can easily picture myself sailing with these ancient warriors across their icy seas, paying homage to their Gods and merrily singing with my fellow sailors while sampling plenty of beer.

Epic songs like the rousing and majestic opener “The Edge” and the powerful “Eric the Red” mesh perfectly with the up beat and fun traditional Irish song “The Wild Rover” as well as with the galloping traditional Danish song “Ramund Hin Unge”. Not to be forgotten are the traditional Faroese songs like “Olavur Riddararos”, “Styrisvolurin”, and “Regin Smidur” that had me attempting singing along to them. It is hard to imagine how these songs are in their original format because these sound like perfect Viking metal songs for today.

Tyr should definitely garner your attention with Eric the Red. This is one of the better releases of the year and one not to be missed.

Tutl Website
Tyr Official Website

Hell yeah! I'm from the same country as this band, they fawking rock.
I urge people to get som of their songs, especially "the Edge" to begin with.
Great review!