Tyr

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Has anyone heard this band from Denmark? They apparently play a form of progressive doomy viking metal. Comparisons in the "media" section at their website mention Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Einherjer, Lord Weird Slough Feg, etc.

This doesn't sound like my bag, but I do dig Ensiferum a lot, so you never know. Has anyone at RC received a promo for their second album, Eric the Red?

Here's the website: http://www.tyr.net

There are a few mp3's, but since I share an office now, I can't play 'em until I go home.

Sentinel Steel is selling both album by the band with the description: Scandinavian epic power-doom metal with Viking themes. In the style of Falconer, Candlemass, Destiny, early Tad Morose, Skyclad, etc.

They're not so much from Denmark as they are from the Faroe Islands, a group of small islands populated (pop. less than 50.000) largely by descendents of 9th century vikings. It belongs to Denmark, but has some independence. They do have their own language (Faroese, which has far more in common with Icelandic than it does with Danish)

Týr is mainly notable for being the sole known metal band from the Faroe Islands. I don't think I've heard them yet, maybe I will.

I think the faorese have a huge whale hunt every year. Where the whole population of the islands delights on whale products. Vikings- such insensitive killers.