Pagan/Viking/Medieval metal questions?

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
I've noticed quite a few people here talking/discussing Pagan/medieval/Viking metal bands...and many of you have mentioned bands that I didn't know about (and that's unusual!).

For example, I've read posts about Enid, Vanitas and a slew of others lately, yet I've never heard/heard of these bands. How do you guys find out about them, and where do you find the albums?

To save some confusion, here's who I have heard (or have albums by):
Aegir, Amon Amarth, Bifrost, Brimstone, Bran Barr, Corvus Corax, Cruachan, Dol Amroth, Einherjer, Elvenking, Empyrium, Ensiferum, Enslaved, Falkenbach, Finntroll, Frostmoon, Goat of Mendes, Haggard, Havayoth, Himinbjorg, Hollenthon, Hrossharsfgrani, Isengard, Kampfar, Lord Weird Slough Feg, Manegarm, Manilla Road, Mithotyn, Moonsorrow, Morgenstern, Mork Gryning, Mythological Cold Towers, Nifelheim, Otyg, Primordial, Ragnarok, Raventhrone, Skyclad, Summoning, Svartahrid, Thyrfing, Vintersorg, Waylander, and Windir

Lastly, if anyone who comments on new bands in this awesome genre, please list either some songs or albums that are recommended! Thanks, and hail!

Enid is just fantastic. The keyboard player is one of the best to be found. Try these songs (just get them from AudioGalaxy)

"Weg der Weisung" (Get that one first!)
"Patience's Ring" (Slow... fast... great)
"An Myrrddhin"
"Helios' Niedergang" (Battle march!)
"And Soon Will Fall The Days" (Definately get this one... Excellent vocals in my opinion)

Every song shows something different with these guys. Also download anything from their Nachtgedanken demo. Great stuff.

Dunno Enid... but I will do know them soon :D ;)

As for your list - you should look for some stuff from Menhir, Suidakra, Mithotyn, Nattvindens Gråt and Helheim to it, those are also really good bands. Other than that - a great list you got there, I enjoy most of the stuff your have on it! :headbang: :headbang:

Finding out about such bands is rather difficult, but with a trustworthy metal-shop behind yourself it aint difficult, and since many of the Viking Metal bands are linked as well, that is also some springboard ;) And Raventhrone kick severe ass!!!

edit: Holy shit! I hope you've just forgot Bathory's Hammerheart, Blood on Ice, Twilight of the Gods and Blood Fire Death on that list, or are they missing cause you don't know them :eek: THAT is awesome Viking Metal, too :D

I agree about Bathory.

Another band you might like is Pazuzu. This is like ritualistic medieval pagan music. There are no guitars. Everything is programmed. WAIT! It is all keyboards, programmed drums, growl vocals, spoken vocals, female vocals. The mastermind behind this band is Ray Wells (Raventhrone mastermind). But only get the first two (...And All was Silent... and Awaken the Dragon). The third album(End of the Ages) kinda sucks.

You would also like Golden Dawn's "The Art of Dreaming" if you can find it.

Originally posted by DogVomit
I know you've already mentioned them, but Thyrfing is such a fucking excellent band. Would anyone say Orphaned Land comes into any of these categories?

Dude, Orphaned Land are so damn good. I don't know if they fit in this category. They have this middle eastern type sound. Quite good. Get it.

Originally posted by ~UlvedaL~

--->Dreamlord!!!

I have asked you before, but I cant remember where and when... Golden Dawn, what kind of style is it? Is it like Summoning or what?

Yes, Golden Dawn are comparable to Summoning, but whereas Summoning comcentrate more on the epic nature(keyboards), Golden Dawn concentrate more on the black metal side of things(guitars). Golden Dawn still uses keyboards alot though, but they do not drive the music like Summoning does. If Summoning were more guitar driven, Golden Dawn is what they would sound like.

I know Ray Wells(Pazuzu and Raventhrone) plays some guitars and vocals on The Art of Dreaming.

Check out some reviews at http://larm.cjb.net/ and I think there is one here http://www.metal-observer.de The only album Golden Dawn have released (that I know of) is The Art of Dreaming, their debut. Haven't seen any others

The Art of Dreaming can be extremely hard to find. Good luck

Markgugs,

Also check out Arcane Sun. The only have one album released and it is self-titled. Arcane Sun is from Ireland I think and they have been compared to Primordial.

Also check out Geasa. Their Angel's Cry album is very similar to Primordial. Also from Ireland.

Oh yea, also check out Heresiarh, they're pretty good. D/L the tracks "Higher than Hills" and "The Bard Suite".

If you want to chat about this kind of stuff with some veterans, check out our little Viking Metal message board at http://pub7.ezboard.com/bvikingmetal, the few of us there are very much into the style, so the folks there know a thing or two about it. Rob from Asatru drops by now and then, and TrollHorN from Moonsorrow/Finntroll is a regular. Newcomers are always welcome!

Got both the '96 anf Nidhogg demo of Mithotyn... ordered them from some German mailorder... Most of the songs got used later on the albums, The Guardian, for example. Good demo material, tho, I must say :) Mithotyn ruled, long live Mithotyn, still!