U87 as overheads mics

Giacomo

New Metal Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hello to everyone, I am new on the forum, next week I'll track drums for a death-core album, for overheads I always used km184, sm81 or akg 414 (a-b position) this time I am cuorious to try with a pair u87, any one had good results with them on overheads?
The room not the best in term of sound but still controllable

Thanks in advance

Giacomo

U87's generally rule on OH, but I wouldn't use them for a deathcore album. I'd use the 184's and SM81's for two A/B pairs (4 OH mics total) and mic the cymbals as closely/in as small of groups as possible. Use the 414's as true 'overheads' or as room mics - you're going to want as much cymbal separation as possible in that genre.

Thank you for the fast reply!
Yes I'll use 4 mics, the a-b pair and two spot for hh and ride, I am going to put the a-b pair on that particoular kit so that it gaves me the control of two couples of cymbals but also a balanced stereo image..
Can you explain me the two a-b pairs? Would you position the second couple as I mentioned above (spot on ride&hh) or would you use it to mic the "extreme" left and right cymbal groups/pairs?

Thank you

Giacomo

U87S Will be way to open and chunky for that kinda thing.
SDC's low to the cymbals i reckon!

Using large condensers are awesome on rock, but i would never use it on faster stuff. The kick will be so large in the OH and you will get in so mich trouble when hes doing fast kick patterns. Editing will be a bitch, replaciing the kick while mixing will be a bitch. So just use a small condenser instead

Thank you for the fast reply!
Yes I'll use 4 mics, the a-b pair and two spot for hh and ride, I am going to put the a-b pair on that particoular kit so that it gaves me the control of two couples of cymbals but also a balanced stereo image..
Can you explain me the two a-b pairs? Would you position the second couple as I mentioned above (spot on ride&hh) or would you use it to mic the "extreme" left and right cymbal groups/pairs?

Thank you

Giacomo

Including hat/ride spot mics, I would be using 6 OH's in all likelihood. Hat/ride spot mics, main left/right from one SDC pair, and then either spot-micing the china cymbals/splashes with the other SDC pair, or using all 4 SDC's on the OH for a really extended spread, trying to pickup as few cymbals as possible with each mic.

Thank you Jeff, it seems for that kit the best option is 2 pairs plus hh and ride.
When the second group-pair is not playin, your advice is to mute the regions or use automation instead? I usually automate spot on ride and hh