U87 for overheads

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
So, the thread title really says it all. What do you think about using Neumann U87's for overheads? The studio I'm looking at tracking drums in has a pair and as I have only ever used the U87 for vocals and guitar I thought I'd ask for your (everyones) opinion before making any decisions.

they sound good for overheads. your not gonna be disappointed i dont think. i prefer tlm 103s though for both vocals and overheads to the u87. i know it sounds crazy but i just dig em more. the 87 overloads quicker and has a much different high end the than the 103.

axeman720 said:
they sound good for overheads. your not gonna be disappointed i dont think. i prefer tlm 103s though for both vocals and overheads to the u87. i know it sounds crazy but i just dig em more. the 87 overloads quicker and has a much different high end the than the 103.

Really? I recently used a pair of 103's as OH's and I found them to be pretty "soft" sounding. Not nearly as articulate as I'd like. I've liked u87's as overs in the past, but it was in situations where they were the only LDC pair available so I couldn't A/B.

While they don't sound amazing as OH's in my opinion, they definitely don't sound bad. It depends on what other mics the studio has to offer. As room mics, as Frank'nfurter already said, they work fantastically.

Exsanguis said:
While they don't sound amazing as OH's in my opinion, they definitely don't sound bad. It depends on what other mics the studio has to offer. As room mics, as Frank'nfurter already said, they work fantastically.

The studios mic list is:

2 x Neumann U87
3 x AKG 414
1 x NEUMANN KN85
2 x SHURE SM58
1 x SHURE SM57
3 x AKG 451s
1 x CALREC CM1050C
1 x BEYER Dynamic MCE83
1 x AKG D12
1 x AKG D112

I normally get good result with a pair of 414's so unless anything else on the list is better I think I'll be sticking with them.

Try the AKG 451's. I've heard some pretty good stuff recorded with those.
I dont really like 414's for overheads personally.

i'd most certainly use the 451s and the 87s on the overheads. i just did the drums for my record and we used 414s and to be honest i am not very happy with the initial sound. but there is some other contributing factors to that as well, i wont rule out the mics as the sole problem.

I've gotten great results with 414's as OH's, but with some 451's available, I would try to mic up the cymbals individually or 1 mic per couple of cymbals, a la Andy's setup for Nevermore. I've had pretty good luck with multiple cymbal mics. This is, of course, if you're willing to sort out the many possible phase issues(it's worth it, in my opinion). Have fun with it, and post pics!

Yeah, 451 are great. I recently used the 414 as a close mic on the ride and liked it alot (more than I've liked it as an OH mic). If you have the time why not throw up a couple different pairs and see what you like?

Razorjack said:
The studios mic list is:

2 x Neumann U87
3 x AKG 414
1 x NEUMANN KN85
2 x SHURE SM58
1 x SHURE SM57
3 x AKG 451s
1 x CALREC CM1050C
1 x BEYER Dynamic MCE83
1 x AKG D12
1 x AKG D112

I normally get good result with a pair of 414's so unless anything else on the list is better I think I'll be sticking with them.

I've found good results using the 414's as room mics. Usually sticking to the 3:1 ratio. Really brings a nice color to the drums. Depending on the drummer I will sometimes mic the Ride cymbal with a 414 also. Usually trying to keep it with the center of the Ride to keep alot of that rumble that you get on the edge of the cymbals. Usually roll off at 150 too.

Razorjack, have you had any success with using the D12?? How does it compare to the D112 or any other kick mic you would use.

Yep you have nothing to worry about. Best would be the KM 84 but he only has one of them. Use it on the ride unless you usually use the hi hat mic in the mix in which case I'd put it there. You can A/B between the U87, the 414 and the 451.

I use 414's through a Pendulum Tube pre for OH's and they are great.

Colin

Guten abend, boungiorno, and hi folks!

I see that someone got some info on P.Tägtgrens studiowork.
I must confess that I have tried to (desperatly) find some more info about his outboard gear and which mics he uses. So far, I have spotted the UAudio 1176LN Limiting Amplifier, some SE mics, Focusrite Red racks.
But I do wonder if anybody else has some clue here...

Abyss studio!! :kickass:

oh... well... err....
I just have to continue my wild shots in the dark.... lol
The last Hypocrisy album is heavy as hell. I have stated that he used Mesa, but I swear I also hear a lot of Krank in his sound. He may have used Sansamp additionally. I also guess he used a Royer somesort...

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha wow, this is the second time in a few weeks that a nearly 3 year old thread has been resurrected! That being said i still feel that way about the 103 although i dont really use either on overheads unless i dont have a choice.

I suggest km184s or 451s for the metal stuff. They are just tighter and easier to position.

Hope that helps.

Haha wow, this is the second time in a few weeks that a nearly 3 year old thread has been resurrected! That being said i still feel that way about the 103 although i dont really use either on overheads unless i dont have a choice.

I suggest km184s or 451s for the metal stuff. They are just tighter and easier to position.

Hope that helps.

On this session I ended up at a different studio and went with a pair of KM184's, still my favourite OH's for metal.