UK: Mint Diezel VH4 + custom head/8U rack flightcase

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
After much deliberation, I've decided to offer up my beloved VH4 for sale, along with its custom live-in flightcase.
The amp is an '08 model, with an EL34 powersection. It's in absolutely mint condition, having lived in the flightcase for the majority of its life. I am the original owner.
The flightcase was made by Castle Cases, and has some minor superficial wear (scratches and small dents, mainly on the front and back panels), but is in perfect structural condition.

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

(rack contents not included!)

I'm looking for £1700 for the head, and £100 for the flightcase. I would consider a trade for a VHT 2/50/2 or 2/90/2 power amp :)

Thanks for looking!

Hey Jeff, yeah, it kinda is! At that point I hadn't had a chance to properly put it through its paces in conjunction with a power amp/cab setup, but I was at rehearsal all weekend, running it through the VH4 poweramp. After some tweaking I could flip between the VH4 preamp and the axe-fx without noticing any difference, and the tonal possibilities the axe affords are endless. It's a really tough call for me, but the clincher for me is the fact that I can have a much smaller and more portable rig this way.

Holy shit, that's a lot cheaper than I expected (the head I mean), and according to Thomann's UK site, cheaper even than a Dual Rec, which is astounding to me since a VH4 is at least twice the price of the Mesa over here! Of course, that's probably due more to retarded international Mesa prices...

Anyway, good luck with the sale dude!

Holy shit, that's a lot cheaper than I expected (the head I mean), and according to Thomann's UK site, cheaper even than a Dual Rec, which is astounding to me since a VH4 is at least twice the price of the Mesa over here! Of course, that's probably due more to retarded international Mesa prices...

Anyway, good luck with the sale dude!

Yeah, we get absolutely shafted on the price of alot of US-made stuff. Mesa/Boogie especially, I mean, the average street price on a Road King head here is equivalent to around $5375.
Thanks mate :)

nice. I have an Engl SE EL34 head right now and an Axe-FX + VHT 2/50/2 setup also.... I'm still not sure if the Axe-FX can match the SE preamp tones. I need to spend more time with it still, but both are definitely quality. However, I know for a fact that I prefer the Axe with a poweramp + cab and mic'd up over going direct with impulses though (for high gain anyways, cleans are another story). I'm thinking I might just sell the VHT and use the 4 cable method with the Axe-FX and SE so I have all options available. The only things I'd miss by doing that would be the portability and the option of playing in stereo with two cabs... but it's not like playing in stereo is very practical anyways (although it's fun as hell! lol)

I've had thoughts of selling the Axe-FX off a few times though... particularly because the SE is so good for my tastes and because I've been interested in the SoundToys effects. www.soundtoys.com These guys are the ones who designed the Eventide H3000, so it's kinda like having the eventide effects in software form. of course, then they're not available live... unless they could run on one of those new SM Pro Audio V-Machines units that allow you to install VSTs and run them live... hmmmmm :p

nice. I have an Engl SE EL34 head right now and an Axe-FX + VHT 2/50/2 setup also.... I'm still not sure if the Axe-FX can match the SE preamp tones. I need to spend more time with it still, but both are definitely quality. However, I know for a fact that I prefer the Axe with a poweramp + cab and mic'd up over going direct with impulses though (for high gain anyways, cleans are another story). I'm thinking I might just sell the VHT and use the 4 cable method with the Axe-FX and SE so I have all options available. The only things I'd miss by doing that would be the portability and the option of playing in stereo with two cabs... but it's not like playing in stereo is very practical anyways (although it's fun as hell! lol)

I've had thoughts of selling the Axe-FX off a few times though... particularly because the SE is so good for my tastes and because I've been interested in the SoundToys effects. www.soundtoys.com These guys are the ones who designed the Eventide H3000, so it's kinda like having the eventide effects in software form. of course, then they're not available live... unless they could run on one of those new SM Pro Audio V-Machines units that allow you to install VSTs and run them live... hmmmmm :p

Interesting points Josh. Personally, I was really shocked (in a good way!) at the quality of the tones when using the Axe-FX as a preamp after some tweaking. Being able to reduce the size and weight of the rig considerably is the main motive for me doing this, though if I could justify it I would hold on to the VH4, if only for sentimental purposes.

Interesting points Josh. Personally, I was really shocked (in a good way!) at the quality of the tones when using the Axe-FX as a preamp after some tweaking. Being able to reduce the size and weight of the rig considerably is the main motive for me doing this, though if I could justify it I would hold on to the VH4, if only for sentimental purposes.

Yeah, it sounds awesome as a preamp! I think a lot of people who aren't impressed by what it can do direct through impulses would love it through a poweramp and cab. It's important to use a good poweramp too though.

See, I love the SE. It's been my dream amp for a while, but never could afford it until recently. I finally got a chance to snag one for cheap -- $2000 including a roadcase... that's ridiculous for a head that usually sells for $4000 new or $2800 used. So, for sentimental kind of reasons, it's only $1300 more (say I sell the VHT for $700) to have the ability to have a real amp along with the axe-fx instead of just axe-fx + poweramp. That's really not that bad.

Of course, it depends on the price..... for a Diezel or even what the SE normally sells for, I'm not sure I'd be willing to do it because of the price difference... would probably just stick with the axe-fx + vht. I don't know though. I try not to drag any sentimental kind of feelings in there and just stay objective, so I still want to spend time with the SE/Axe-FX/VHT and see what conclusions I come to just using my own ears and judgement and seeing what I really think sounds better to me.