Uli Sky 07 pics/review

kittybeast

Apr 20, 2004
Always Somewhere!
Uli Jon Roth Sky Academy 2007 Aug 24 & 25, Los Angeles, CA

This years seminar was incredible as to be expected! How can you not enjoy amazing musicians like Johnny Hiland, Joe Stump, George Bellas, Jeff Scott Soto, Roy Z, Michael Angelo Batio, Chris Poland, Mark Boals, Tony Franklin, Kofi Baker, Adrian Galysh, Rob Pagliari, Steve Smyth, Richie Onori, Andrew Shulman, Seymour Duncan, Stuart Smith, Michael Ehre, Ule Ritgen, Corvin Bahn, Piero Leporale, Robby Krieger, and the forever amazing Uli Jon Roth!!!

Friday nights show was a bit late in getting started and the timing and changing of muscians and the stage set up wasn't easy but well worth the wait. Set list from Friday to Saturday was mostly the same but Friday night had a few more student solos as Saturday night had special guest Robby Krieger. See my pictures here http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/kittybeastconcerts/ and I've posted a small slide show on myspace/metalkittybeast

Saturday nights set list;
Improvisation
Fire Wind
We'll Burn the Sky
Land of Dawn
Fly to the Rainbow
The Sails of Charon
Child in Time
Polar Nights
Dark Lady
Light my Fire
LA Woman
Riders on the Storm
Going Down
Blues in E
*Intermission
Rondo Alla Turea
Bach Piece in G
Tuona E Fulmina
Hand
Timeless Inspiration
Pictured Life
In Trance
Foxy Lady
Highway Chile
Purple Haze
White Room
Little Wing
Atlantis
Still I'm Sad
Weapon of Choice
Virgin Killer
Catch your Train
all star jam Johnny B. Goode

Two nights of Uli Jon Roth and Friends, WOW who could ask for more! To hear Piero, Mark and Jeff sing classic Scorpions songs and so damn very well was jaw dropping! Mark on Sails of Charon was hitting those high notes so clean and powerful, I sure hope Jeff or Bobby will post on you tube! Jeff Scott Soto, damn that guy can sing! Such power, emotion and stage presence anytime he'd like to cover the Scorps is fine by me! Here is his website http://jeffscottsoto.com/home/

I was happy to see my long time friend and newlywed Steve Smyth and his lovely and sweet wife Nikki, it had been over a year since we had seen each other and such a pleasure to catch up on things. Steve, you damn near made me faint when you gave me the copy of the Esseness Project!! Congratulations to you both, I wish you a lifetime of love, happiness and joy! You were made for eachother!!!http://www.stevesmyth.com/

I printed out the pictures that I had taken on Friday night and was able to get them all signed on Saturday night. All the guys were very kind and accomodating, especially Jeff Scott Soto and his wife. Throughout the night we had tried to get a decent picture together and it just wasn't happening. The fourth time it came out...but LOL the look on our faces is like "eeerrrr is this gonna work."

Michael Ehre was back again this year and what a hell of a time keeper and mad man on a kit that guy is...and sooooo easy on the eyes ladies * wink * wink. If you want some kick ass metal check him and the band out at http://www.metalium.de/news.html I shot many pictures of him just trying to get a shot where a mic or symbal wasn't in the way. I did wind up with a few....yay!

After the show we got to get some pictures and autographs from Uli..and lots and lots of hugs!! Such a gentle soul he is, so kind, sweet and easy to be around. We talked a bit about new tour, last years show, and I asked if there was any chance he would be in L.A. when the Scorpions were in town and he said he is continuing the tour and it just can't happen. But that he will be back in France in 2008 and possibly as a guest of the Scorpions. What I wouldn't give to be able to sit alone with him for 15 minutes!! That was the third time I've had the pleasure of talking to him and damn it! I didn't ask if he had a guitar pick with him! Well guess that means I'll have to go back in 2008...like there is any doubt!!

I hope you all will enjoy the pictures!! Kristy

I got your email too, what a show did I miss! Super review and pics, thank you! :) :headbang:

As I posted in the Prog Power forum, I'm insanely jealous that you've seen this TWICE now! :lol:

Will keep my eyes peeled for any kind of recordings.....:headbang:

That's a damn amazing list of musicians you saw there !! Seminars like that are not happening here that much (as far as I know anyway). I visited some seminars in the 80's with an uncle of mine (he's a percussion teacher at the Belgian conservatory).Met some pretty famous drummers there from real big bands, that showed their skills. Most memorable was a very young drummer of Earth, Wind & Fire, he just blew all the rest away that day !! We also saw Ringo Starr and as a funny note my uncle told me he is a master in writing music, but not a real gifted drummer :)

Cool pics btw, great to meet your idols like that!!

Wow impressive set list! Could do without the Doors tunes IMO and play more off of his albums. Like Sundown or I'll be loving you always:headbang: