Ulver - Unusual Artists, Unusual Music

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
[IMGLEFT]http://www.npearce.ultimatemetal.com/smellyarse.jpg[/IMGLEFT]By Ádám Tóth

Krystoffer Rygg is an exceptional figure. The Clown of Jester-Town. After appearing in many metal bands and projects, he has a few connections with the Norwegian metal scene. His first band, Ulver, has faced many metamorphoses. In the beginning, their reputation was founded with melodic black after releasing one of the coldest black records ever. Later they flirted with electronics to an extent, and unleashed numerous ambient and soundtrack recordings. This time it’s all about Blood Inside, which opens a new direction for Ulver.

Well, you got this new record called Blood Inside. There are many guests, can you tell us a few of them, where could we find them on the record?

Well, the guests? Yeah..
383_5.jpg

Because your music assimilates them. So it’s hard to tell who is doing what.

Yeah, but you know, it’s not important to me and in the end it is the result that matters.

Of course.

To me, anyway. I really don't feel like going into it.

Okay. On Perdition City you had this new direction going from sounds to sounds and it’s very ambient stuff. And, from then, you wrote some music scores. How did you get to recording those soundtracks? Were you invited?

Actually, I don't know but I think that the director might have been an Ulver fan. He just sent me a mail about it.

Oh, really?

Saying that he was about to make a movie and he really wanted us to do the soundtrack. And the something is that the scriptwriter had been thinking about the same, requesting us to do the music.

Very strange.

But, of course as soon as you get into it, you know, other people in the same business kinda notice that, you know. It evolves. We get asked a lot.

I see. So after that you were nominated for a Norwegian Grammy Award. Is it important to Ulver?

Not really. Not for me. To my mum, sure.

After this you made Blood Inside. How did the idea to release such a diverse album, compared to the older stuff, come about?
It’s hard to say how the idea came. It probably didn't come in one piece. It's like things leaking through from the things you read, things you listen to, things you are thinking about. Small pieces of what makes you into what the one you are – reflecting what you create, I guess. And it’s not steady and may not be.

Your approach is the same, as in the older stuff, the first trilogy, isn't it?

No, our approach is different. We are not rehearsing as a rock band anymore. We kind of carefully structure our music. And we use technology to a much larger extent. This approach is very different.
383_2.jpg

Sorry, I meant the original philosophy of your music is the same. Your older musical stuff is also very complex. For example, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell is very hard to listen to for the first time.

Actually, I think it is a pretty easy album.

What's your comment on Marriage after these years?

Uhhmmm... I think it’s a very bold album and in parts a good album, and in parts a really crappy album. We kind of dived into things we did not fully master while making that record. You know, some of the programming may be a little bit too simple. But it’s a bold album, for a statement. And it has some cool stuff in there.

There was a rumour on net that after breaking the contract with Century Media you built a studio from the money, is that right?

Yeah, we built a studio but not from any money from Century Media. That's not the case. We kinda got out of the contract with Century Media, because we didn't really get any money out of it. And we got money from other people, more generous, I guess you can say. You know, we built a studio with that money. Not saying any negative about Century Media, just didn't work with us.

Okay. That's the fact. You were involved in Arcturus. Are you still interested in it?

I'm curious listening to the new album, but it’s not like a huge thing for me. I guess one of the reasons why I left is that I was straining off to other areas, acquiring different interests. I have to have things to occupy my mind with. So I'm curious how the next record will sound, I really hope it’s gonna be a good record and it’s going well for the band. But it’s behind me, in a sense.

I see. What's your comment on Simen's return?

Oh, he’s such a great choice, that's the best choice. He is a very great talent. I just hope he can write some good lyrics as well :)

Well, he wrote one on La Masquerade Infernale if I'm right.

Yeah, that's true. Kind of a chaotic one. Hope he will write good lyrics. He is a great singer, he is far greater than me.

Oh really?

Yeah. What do you think?
383_4.jpg

Well, I think your styles are different. Your vocal styles. You're moving much more on the lower sounds, while he is moving high.

Yeah, that's right.

When you made La Masquerade Infernale with Arcturus, was there a plan to have two-vocal themes with Simen or it just came?

That song, ’Chaos Path’ actually came from some jamming Sverd, the keyboard player, had with Simen. So I think it came into our hands later.

You have some other projects now. There is a Portuguese musician, maybe from the band Sirius?

Oh yeah, yeah. Daniel.

How are the plans going with that project?

It’s more or less shaping up. I guess when I return from this excursion, I finish those tracks. In a couple of weeks. It’s almost done.

And what's the music going to be like? Did you have any idea for him?

It’s immediate music, it’s not different music at all, like Blood Inside. Much more straightforward. Sick, twisted lyrics. And really fucked up words. And the music is simple, catchy, melodic hard rock music :) Not like hard rock, but rock'n'wow. :)

Well, you are also appearing on Solefald's new album.

Yeah, that's right. That was a quick one. Just a couple of hours in the studio. Didn't require very much from my side. I just like the guys. I just want to hear the results of the mix.

Did you record it in Iceland?

No, no. They went to Iceland to prepare the record, write it, but they recorded it in Norway.

How did you like the role? As we heard you played Loki's character.

Oh yeah. That's the perfect role for me.

On Hungarian message boards many guys thought that is the real role made for you.

Yeah, that's it.
383_1.jpg

Can I ask about the records you release on Jester Records?
In the beginning, we set up the label to release our own music. But then, you know, it just so happened that an old hero of mine, Lars Pedersen (When) was looking for someone to release his seventh album. And of course I had to do that. Somehow, if I release music, then it’s the people that I like, it’s underground and strange. And it’s just kind of a hobby, I guess, you could call it.

But it seems to be a creative hobby.

Of course. In the end it’s all about art. Creating it, making it visible, you know.

Maybe you know Geir Jensen, he made Biosphere.

Yeah yeah. I met him many times. I have been out to dinner with him, actually.

Are there any common projects with him?

Oh no, I don't think so. Actually, I think it’s really fucking boring music. The first couple of records were good, for example Microgravity. And I kinda like the ambient stuff, but you put it on when you go to sleep. And you're sleeping in five minutes. That's all. I can think of much more interesting music to listen to. Sorry, sorry Geir.

For example?

I mean from Norway you have another guy, Deathprod. He actually mastered the Madrigal of Night record. And his stuff is fantastic. That's the real ambient music for me. He actually did an album with the guy behind Biosphere. It was interpretations of the Norwegian contemporary composer Arne Nordheim. It was a good album. I still think that Biosphere is...the concept is kinda worn out.

Okay. Let's move back to Blood Inside, if we can. What does the title mean? Is there any reason for calling it Blood Inside?

Of course there is, of course. It’s all well-thought through, but I'm not gonna hand it to you. It was a very conscious choice.

My final question is about the video of ’It is Not Sound.’ It’s very provocative, how did the idea come about, besides the Pope's death?

It’s part of our interests. It’s our interpretation of some of the lyrics, I guess. It’s a very strong metaphorical video. Cause it takes elements of biblical history, but it also reflects you know, current mental ongoings. It’s a kind of error. I hope some falling Popes.
383_3.jpg

Well, do you have any comments on today's black metal scene?

Not really. My ears are tuned in elsewhere. If I need black metal, or good metal at all, I put on fuckin' Slayer. But I couldn't give a shit. It’s really stagnating. I think there were some good bands, but I'm interested in so much different music, that I don’t really care. And the evil kids, ohh. I'm looking for the next DHG album, do you know them, Dodheimsgard?

Yeah, of course.

That one I'm really looking forward to. But I can't say that I'm interested at all.

Okay, thanks for the interview!

Take care now!

UM's review of Blood Inside

Official Ulver Website
Official Jester Records Website
Official The End Records Website

They played at the local youth club where I live (in Norway) before they got famous.
Theyre not that great live. Theyre like OK.

8-balled said:
They played at the local youth club where I live (in Norway) before they got famous.
Theyre not that great live. Theyre like OK.

:OMG:

What year, what era of Ulver what did they play? Details, details! :p

Barking Pumpkin said:
:OMG:

What year, what era of Ulver what did they play? Details, details! :p

I'm not that big fan of them, have to be the oldest songs. Maybe songs that they don't have give out in public.

It was black metal to the bones! The music was great, but their preformance sucked.
Maybe they're better live now, I havent seen them in years.

I've heard alot about this release...can anyone just sum it up? (Ulver) Don't need a review, just a decent un-biased rating.

cheers

Very experimental, elements of electronic, jazz, classical included. It's also not nearly as minimalistic as 'Perdition City.' Also my album of the year. :p

To not listen to a whole genre of music is pretty arrogant though, especially when you are going back to rock which has been stagnant for 30 years.