Ulver's EPs/film scores

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I love both Ulver's earlier stuff and their recent works. Now it's time to check out their EP's and film scores if you would take the time to review them for me. Which one sounds like what? What is the best place to start? How do they differ from each other?

Here are the CDs I need some info on:

1999 Metamorphosis
2001 Silence Teaches You How to Sing
2001 Silencing the Singing
2002 Teachings in Silence (Best of)
2002 Lyckantropen
2003 A Quick Fix of Melancholy
2003 Svidd Neger

Please refrain from making one-liners like "Ulver rules" or "Ulver sucks".

Thanks!

Ulver sucks

No really they rule.

Now as to my advice go torrent the whole discography and then listen to it all. Then after that go buy each cd/ep that you liked that you can find. Now isn't that simple?

I do not download music, cause I don't like listening to mp3's. That's why I asked for some reviews from you guys, but all I get is "they rule" or "they suck" posts. Anyway... maybe some others will take the time to put down their thoughts and actually review the CD's in question comparing and contrasting them.

batmura said:
I love both Ulver's earlier stuff and their recent works. Now it's time to check out their EP's and film scores if you would take the time to review them for me. Which one sounds like what? What is the best place to start? How do they differ from each other?

Here are the CDs I need some info on:

1999 Metamorphosis
2001 Silence Teaches You How to Sing
2001 Silencing the Singing
2002 Teachings in Silence (Best of)
2002 Lyckantropen
2003 Svidd Neger

Please refrain from making one-liners like "Ulver rules" or "Ulver sucks".

Thanks!

well one thing you'd probably want to know is that Teachings in Silence is a compilation of the 2 preceding "Silence" EPs... and is my absolute favorite as far as their EPs/film scores go... it's glitch, static noise soundscapes, ambience, and minimalism... no vocals at all except for a couple very small soft-spoken/sung parts in the first track

I'm not familiar enough with the others yet to make a comment even though I have them downloaded

edit: and Ulver rules

you can't go wrong with Metamorphosis. It has three very solid tracks.
The last one requires a good subwoofer. Don't listen on headphones.

House of Seance said:
well one thing you'd probably want to know is that Teachings in Silence is a compilation of the 2 preceding "Silence" EPs... and is my absolute favorite as far as their EPs/film scores go... it's glitch, static noise soundscapes, ambience, and minimalism... no vocals at all except for a couple very small soft-spoken/sung parts in the first track
Despite being a compilation, does the album have a unity to it? I'm the type of guy who hates bonus tracks on concept albums cause they disrupt the flow of the piece... If not, I might pick this one up rather than each single disc.

batmura said:
Despite being a compilation, does the album have a unity to it? I'm the type of guy who hates bonus tracks on concept albums cause they disrupt the flow of the piece... If not, I might pick this one up rather than each single disc.
Braighs said:
The music is in the same vein. It should have been combined in the first place.

besides, the individual EPs were limited and are out of print anyway

Get Teachings in Silence. The two EPs fit together very well. It's my favorite post-Bergtatt Ulver work. House of Seance described the album well enough. Lycantropen Themes is not as good. It's a 35 minute album, with about 15 minutes worth of ideas. Some parts are quite nice, but some tracks are redundant, and the last two or three don't mix with the album well. I found it used, but I wouldn't have paid more than a few bucks for it.

A Quick Fix is more song based and isn't soundscapes like the previous releases. Ulver tries awfully hard to be clever and innovative. I think the only track that really works is the remix of the Kveldssanger track.

A Quick Fix and the Silence EP's are possibly my two favorite Ulver releases, period.

As a personal ranking I'd put them in this order:

2003 Svidd Neger
2002 Teachings in Silence (the two "Silence..." EPs should really be considered as one release IMO)
2002 Lyckantropen

Unfortunately, the Metamorphosis EP is the only Ulver release I don't have. :( (Well apart from that Mysticum split 7").

I like Svidd Neger for the rich variety of sounds on there, good stuff. I don't really like Lyckantropen apart from two or three tracks, I always tune out whenever I put it on.

Svidd Neger is for a soundtrack very song based, clear structures, true "songs".
The instrumentation covers a broad spectrum, partly "classical influenced": which means both the underlying harmonic structures, as well as the superficial appeareance resembles classical music in some parts.
works really well for your own soundtrack in your head, especially on a moody day outside, rain dropping from the leaves, and the sun cracking the clouded sky...^^ ;)

Lyckanthropen Themes is quite the opposite, as mentioned, blurry soundscapes, no real structure, more of a subtle background noise, does not work as well as svidd neger for me.

The Silence... eps are really great, much more developed, not just a bunch of noises. Others described it well.

and yeah Ulver are great ;)

Opacum Diluculum said:
Svidd Neger is for a soundtrack very song based, clear structures, true "songs".
The instrumentation covers a broad spectrum, partly "classical influenced": which means both the underlying harmonic structures, as well as the superficial appeareance resembles classical music in some parts.
works really well for your own soundtrack in your head, especially on a moody day outside, rain dropping from the leaves, and the sun cracking the clouded sky...^^ ;)

Lyckanthropen Themes is quite the opposite, as mentioned, blurry soundscapes, no real structure, more of a subtle background noise, does not work as well as svidd neger for me.

The Silence... eps are really great, much more developed, not just a bunch of noises. Others described it well.

and yeah Ulver are great ;)

have you seen either film? both soundtracks work pretty well for the cinematography and storylines/necessary atmosphere and engagement of the viewer/listener. maybe it will just take the appropriate context for you.

NineFeetUnderground said:
have you seen either film? both soundtracks work pretty well for the cinematography and storylines/necessary atmosphere and engagement of the viewer/listener. maybe it will just take the appropriate context for you.

i have both movies on my hd, but both in original and i don´t understand a word...-.- but what i can see so far, that LT really captures the mood of the movie, as far as atmosphere, lightning, the body language etc goes. :)