UM Forum Is Ultimately Great!

FEZZILLA

May 6, 2003
America
Visit site
Wow, am I the first person to open a topic in this section? Well I take this opportunity as an honor to say how much I admire this forum. The people here are surprisingly very cool and tolerant of others, including Christians like me. This has actually put me in a state of shock as I am not used to not being hated for my faith. That alone says something very positive about this forum! Everybody here gets along real well even when they don't agree with you. Yeah, people here actually disagree without being disagreeable. I've been a member of this forum ever since I came in through Nevermore's site. I remember they were going through some changes on their page and it was down for a long time and I just forgot about the forum until recently. Though even back then you a Christian could enter their forum without being discriminated against for being a Christian. That means an awful lot to me. For I was forced to give up my career as a vocalist due to constant discrimination against my Christian faith. The discrimination was so bad I could not cope with the metal world anymore and just stopped singing altogether. But what I have seen here on this forum is the kind of attitude that I once knew among metal fans and musicians a long time ago, before the turn of the century. But at the turn of the century...yeah, we got our Y2K bug in the form of extreme fanaticism from the left who attacked Christians at every opportunity given. Yet nobody is attacking me here. I see nobody here hating me, even when they disagree with me they disagree in a manner agreeable to any civilized society.

I think this forum has the right people running it. I don't know you pull it off as it is an extreme rarity to see people on a metal forum getting along so well. And for all that, its an extreme rarity to see people disagreeing in an agreeable manner on any forum! But here on UM I have been treated very well by people here and never harassed one time by the moderators in 15 years I've been here. I am very impressed with this forum! Words cannot express how impressed I am here. I have seen and witnessed so much hate coming from metal fans over the years to the point where I had distanced myself as far from metal heads as I could. Being a Christian and a metal fan has not been an easy road for me to say the least. But this forum is peaceful and relaxed. Everybody here seems normal and not foaming from the mouth insane with hatred. That puts me in shock to see how much better behaved metal fans on this forum are compared to these so-called forums for "grown ups" which today are generally led by Antifa moderators or volunteers with no discipline of any kind. This forum must be professionally moderated.. Hell, while reading the rules here I even saw rules for moderators to follow! Even those forums for supposed "grow ups" don't have rules for moderators. There is something very wrong with this picture. But its humbling which is why I like this forum.

The only thing this forum lacks is a section dedicated to Vuur. There should be updates on Vuur and news about what Anneke had to eat today LOL! Well maybe I can persuade this forum to open a Vuur section up when Vuur releases their next awesome album :)

As for my general views on metal. Something needs to change in the metal world and this change must be ideological as well as musical. It is may opinion that if metal becomes the antithesis of rap and still maintains solid rhythms and the cool factor metal has always been known for, metal could make a come back if new bands can be discovered with great vocalists --- great male vocalists. There are many awesome female singers in metal and they have dominated metal for well over a decade...since 1995 to be exact. Women in general have dominated music since 1995 which was called the year of the woman by VH1 and MTV. From there nothing much has changed. I love female singers but I have noticed a great void in the world of male singers today. I warned people about this before the turn of the century occurred. I saw many possible scenarios for metal and the success of metal absolutely depended on both male and female vocalists who were far above average talent. But somehow men conformed to growling and barking which destroyed metal music completely as rap had more sex appeal than angry punks do. In order to complete with rap, metal music must become the antithesis to rap. For rap is neither a music or a good culture. Its trash through and through and worthless. The more people see how worthless rap is the less they will be interested in following it. I honestly do see metal music surviving but not without reform. Without reform its over...and metal music becomes the new polka. So I hope someone from a record company reads me, because I know the market very well, am always right about market predictions, and was even right about how hate metal would be the end of metal if something didn't change quickly. Music can be heavy and still not full of hate. That barky bark stuff just has no appeal and has not been doing well on the market. If metal cannot break out of this mold its conformed to then its over for certain.

Anyway, pardon my rant but that's my way of being respectful. I know what it takes to be a successful artist but was never given a chance to make it happen. You know, I live in an area where young people have never heard a human being sing before. No shit. I remember last winter while at work I played the new Vuur album to some young people who never heard a human being sing before, and Anneke was the very first human vocalist they ever heard in their life. They didn't know what to think or how she was making her voice do those things? This is the result of decades of rap music. I knew I would live to see the day when young people grew up never hearing a human being sing before. Its a very strange and even a depressing reality to experience.

Reactions: MetalAges
It's probably the best metal forum out there, at least when people use it properly and dont troll the site and write posts longer than the fucking bible.

It's probably the best metal forum out there, at least when people use it properly and dont troll the site and write posts longer than the fucking bible.
:tickled: I'll take that as a hint. Hey, you must have never been on the old Nightwish forum back between 2003 and 2007. We used to have long topics with long posts all the time. But I do agree that certain topics belong in the right section of the forum ;)

Oh, by the way, I also hate grunge. I never like alternative or punk music either. There were a few good grunge bands in the beginning but that all got old quick.

:tickled: I'll take that as a hint. Hey, you must have never been on the old Nightwish forum back between 2003 and 2007. We used to have long topics with long posts all the time. But I do agree that certain topics belong in the right section of the forum ;)

Oh, by the way, I also hate grunge. I never like alternative or punk music either. There were a few good grunge bands in the beginning but that all got old quick.

Yeah but I highly doubt they tolerated posts that took up entire thread pages

Last edited:
If people don't give you hate here, maybe it's just because they can barely be bothered posting at all. ;) Some of what you've posted has gone almost unnoticed. There are kinda too many sections for the declining userbase, but then numerous users are here only here to spam their bands or other promo, so that validates the existence of unnoticed sections somewhat.

I'm a big fan of the forum format so it's a shame forums are on the decline in general. I can't stand poorly organised sites like Reddit and Twitter, where posts are either viral with thousands of never-to-be-read replies or languishing with no hope of being seen by anyone. Forum threads are much less fleeting as people notice if you add to them over the course of weeks or years.

I
I'm a big fan of the forum format so it's a shame forums are on the decline in general. I can't stand poorly organised sites like Reddit and Twitter, where posts are either viral with thousands of never-to-be-read replies or languishing with no hope of being seen by anyone. Forum threads are much less fleeting as people notice if you add to them over the course of weeks or years.

Here here! And don't think that forums are on the decline just yet. Why do you think I'm here all the sudden after several years of not being on? Its because FB is a burden on anyone who is not a progressive, that's why. People are fed up with FB and looking for new places to venture. I have a MeWe account which is not too bad but the format needs improvement. The forums have superior formats compared to this trap called social media which is Atari compare to this (no ill against Atari intended as Atari is better than FB). You have the most fascist moderators on FB who apparently enjoy closing down everyone's account who is not a progressive. They closed down my account and I lost all my pictures and everything I had accumulated since 2009. I did nothing to deserve that either.

The problem with forums is most forums have moderators more fascist than FB moderators. So I think the good old fashion capitalism will challenge FB soon, as most conservatives are willing to delete their accounts for something better. They probably won't all come here unless they like metal music. Some of them do. My point is that forums are not dead and might make a comeback much sooner than we might think.

If people don't give you hate here, maybe it's just because they can barely be bothered posting at all. ;) Some of what you've posted has gone almost unnoticed.

I wouldn't say unnoticed, unread maybe. Walls of text about topics that have been done to death on just about every other forum. No discussion only statements. Topics of little interest. All make for threads that don't get a reaction. Even if the user base is dwindling if there is no topic to engage with or threads are little more than the OP advertising or telling the world how good they are of course things will look like they went unnoticed. I for one noticed each thread the OP posted but I'm not getting into a religious debate (actually it didn't look like a debate it looked like a sermon) or some discussion about how square the earth is. It would be like getting on a 4wd forum and trying to debate 2 stroke oil in diesel, or getting on a computer forum and debating AMD vs Intel. Some 'debates' just aren't worth having.

Reactions: Bloopy
Have only been on the site for a short space of time, but so pleased to be a member and grateful to everyone who is working to make sure that it remains running.
I particularly like seeking out relatively new and/or unsigned metal bands and this has been a great resource.