Umbra Nihil, anyone?

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
They're Finnish... no, wait, come back! They describe themselves as 'slow obscure metal', and list Swans, Camel, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, early Paradise Lost, The Gathering, Voivod, Cathedral and Unholy as influences. The main dude plays guitars, flute, drums and keyboards, and sings. I'm listening to 'Gnoia', the debut album at the moment, and they're coming across like Reverend Bizzare, except I've heard guitar solos, weird, crashing industrial noises and stuff.

V. cool.

http://www.umbranihil.net/

Ya, they're a great band as are most on that label. (fire doom) Very weird , trippy lovecraftish atmosphere.(will be on my top 10 this year) If you like that kind of stuff dill, check out Aarni, (they have a album out bathos) the guy played some guitar on gnoia. They also released a split together, it's also very good. Uncoventional doom is where it's at :loco:

Yup, pretty much what they sound like to me as well... there are some wicked hypnotic melodies on a few of the tracks too... I've totally tranced out whilst walking from the bus stop to my girlfriend's house while listening to them before, and ended up walking right past the house...

Whoever said this is funeral doom with some 70s influences wasn't wrong. However, this is NOT GIMMICKY and has tonnnns of atmosphere not unlike Unholy, actually.
J. would probably like this. And Nate, MFJ and Doomcifer.
Erik should check it out as well.

downloaded 3 tracks on the third now

some nice trippy bits, reminds me of confessor a bit ...mostly rythmically
the odd tool moment too, I think thats the spacial timing though

good shit for sure
cheers for the recomend dill you divil

These two albums (Umbra Nihil - Gnoia and Aarni - Bathos) have been interesting me for a while now but I've never heard a second of either! :ill:

SECOND LISTEN:

Wow, this is just stellar. Anyone who reads Lovecraft MUST hear this band, totally captures the atmosphere. This is top 10 material for '05, maybe even top 5.

Also excellent (I've actually had that one since last May). The LMI of doom metal, I say.