Unauthorized YouTube content?

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
What's the consensus about people taking a band's song and making their own "video" for it, and posting it on YouTube without the band/label's consent? I've noticed this happening a lot lately with my band's music, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's cool in a way, that people care enough about our band to do that, but at the same time it makes me uncomfortable for a reason I cannot put my finger on.

What are your thoughts?

Copyright your stuff and get them to take it down!

We do hold the copyrights, and I've contemplated asking them politely to remove the content, but I'm torn between doing that, when they are obviously not profiting from YouTube, and possibly losing a fan(s), or just leaving it be.

Like I said, I'm not totally sure how I feel about the situation.

If they credit your band I don't think there's a problem. Unless they use your music in a way that you don't like or they profit from it. In any other case it's a good thing...isn't?

Definitely a good thing so long as "they" aren't making money from it. It's like learning how to play "Song A" by "Band B" and showing your friends back in the day.... consider it a tribute.

Quite a few of those have been made for my band and we are ok with it (maybe the label isn't, I haven't asked). It's almost always actual fans and sometimes they do creative stuff like make montages and such. In my book this is only a positive-- it's just another avenue for people to find your stuff. It's streaming only so it's not like when 1000 blogs all post rapid shares of your whole album.
The one caveat would be pre-releasing albums which I think is disrespectful (but unstoppable).

I'm with Egan. I don't know why more bands don't do it on their own accord as a promotional tool. I know there can be some copyright issues with those who care (read: labels), but where that isn't an issue I would be doing it on my own.

couple things.

first, I honestly dont see why it matters, its only going to make your band bigger and more known.
There is no such thing as bad publicity.

second, unless they are posting a download link or something to get your music for free and/or trying to sell your music, idk if you can really do anything about it cuz they are arent really breaking the law, amirite? I dont know how copyright policies work, so I could be mistaken and please correct me if I am. I mean people post clips of songs in videos they make all the time and thats allowed, so why is posting a song for others to hear much different?

just my .02

Even though it isn't a download link, it is public broadcast without consent, so for anyone wanting to play 100% by the book, it is an illlegal action.
Whether it is detrimental to the band's reputation or popularity is up to anyone's own opinion.

second, unless they are posting a download link or something to get your music for free and/or trying to sell your music, idk if you can really do anything about it cuz they are arent really breaking the law, amirite?
No, you're pretty much 100% wrong on this. It is certainly a violation of copyright law to post material w/o permission and Youtube makes it very easy to report videos which can result in revocation of your account (I think it's a 3 strike and your out rule). Technically mechanical royalties should be paid to the writers/publishers for every play.

Yeah, what a dick move on my part stating fact. It makes way more sense to just let everyone invent their own reality. If you want my opinion on the situation scroll up but that doesn't change the legalities or the YT policy.

I'd be cool with it unless they soundtrack'd goatse videos with our music... then we might have to talk.

But yeah - it is illegal all the same. Just depends on whether you want to do anything about it. I mean... at least they CARE... that's pretty much a good thing in my book.

Yeah, what a dick move on my part stating fact. It makes way more sense to just let everyone invent their own reality. If you want my opinion on the situation scroll up but that doesn't change the legalities or the YT policy.

Was meant for OP.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Some dude made a music video for Race of Roses off the cleansed ep with clips of that horrible nicholas cage movie "knowing." I may not like Nick Cage, that movie or most of the fan made music videos, but the fact of the matter is, some dude likes our music enough to make a music video for it in his own time and put it up on youtube where yet more people will hear the music. Legal issues aside, on a moral level, I can't see why this is a bad thing

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

bp-logo.png

;)