Underøath-like Mix — Advice/ears needed!

shredder10

Replace that #@#|@#∞!!
May 19, 2010
Caracas
www.myspace.com
Hello folks! :wave:

I've been mixing this song for a day and i though it was appropriate to ask for your feedback in order to bring the best out of it! i used the distressor and my neve 5032 eq section to make everything fit.

This track has no bass amp, will reamp one on the finished version, it's a cheap ltd but i'm not very comfortable with its sound. A J bass will do better, i hope! guitars are Orange DT30/Mesa Dual Rec/Orange PPC 2x12/57+421. There's some minor percussion and synth job to do yet! :)

Here it goes!
Dropbox link https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7261693/Tsunami%20I-p2p.mp3

Thanks in advance,
:kickass:

I feel like with such raw sounding guitars and bass, that the drums should be the same way. They're too polished and robotic sounding to fit in with the rest.

It sounds like you recorded everything incredibly dark, or you have been cutting a lot of high end. I wouldn't be surprised if the mix were low passed. Try working some sparkle back into your tracks.

Are you referencing an Underoath record while you're mixing? Try picking something off Lost in the Sound of Separation and roll with it/

Geez!
Thanks a lot for the comments friends;

Greg, About the darkness appreciation, on guitars i just used a 57/421 about an inch from the cab, the Mesa DR was in its orange channel (2) vintage mode, with all the knobs at 12 o clock at a pretty decent recording volume. This amp has old tubes, you think that may be it? I certainly think sometimes i can just make it cut enough through. But i find myself trying not to push the trebly knobs up, neither switching to red CH3...that'd be too modern, wouldn't it? i wish i had the money for a jcm!! — brains xplode :'(

For drums i was just listening to the drum stems they released from the Illuminator track a while ago, i know that's kind of a impossible task but...Brandon i MUST take a look at those samples!! O: omg!

Could i receive a more detailed feedback posting the stems? :'D i'd be grateful <3

I really like this song from a musical standpoint, it's awesome. Really like the breakdown section especially... is this your stuff dude?

Frak, thanks a lot for the kind comment!

Yes! It's my band's new stuff! :D

I'll post the tracks for your guys to mix it tomorrow, it'll be useful for me too though! See what you guys can do with this song!

For drums i was just listening to the drum stems they released from the Illuminator track a while ago, i know that's kind of a impossible task but...Brandon i MUST take a look at those samples!! O: omg!

Just so you know, the Underoath album with Illuminator was recorded by a different drummer, not Aaron. The samples are from one of Aarons kits.

Cheers.

Hello friends;

I've spent a few hours listening to references, and making corrections to the material. Even though it seems my judgement about the track might not be objective, i kind of like what i'm hearing, but it's not perfect i know u_u
Here it goes, with the male vocals added. The girl sings on other various parts of the song, haven't tracked yet. I need to work on the bass tone too, it's just raw.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7261693/Tsunami%20VI.mp3

@xthecavemanx i searched for the Gillespie drum samples on the Truth drums page and couldnt find them anywhere :( so i took a listen of them on youtube, they sounded quite a few dbs fuller and rounder than what my drums were, so i did a little correction there. Also added a bit of para comp, just a tiny bit.

@lolzgreg applied a bit of eq on those guitar tracks, they had a flabby low/lowmid, so i shaved that off a few dbs adding a bit of crunch up top. I'm kind of comparing the sound to Converge's All we love we leave behind, which imho its superb! i wont reach that tone ever :(