Unmastered sound?

Sep 20, 2009
Helsinki Finland
soundcloud.com
Hiya!

I've been mixing the album of this new band that i got involved annnnd im addicted to twiddling the EQ:s and shit. I decided to add this post so someone can tell me that what the hell should unmastered mix sound before sent to remaster? And be critical as hell, otherwise it's a post badly spoiled, unless you really feel it's all set to go? I am thinking to get the guitars more in front but doesn't master get guitars to pop out and do the overall sound brighter aswell??

oh well here it goes
http://www.mikseri.net/playsong.php?id=399499

The mix before being sent to the ME should sound as good as possible (without you adding anything to the stereo bus)

So you're balance should be nailed (the ME should only be touching this up if you sent him the stems to mix as well, but for just the 2-track he won't be dealing with balancing parts, just making the whole thing more coherent)

I like this mix, sounds like you could knock out some of the low end from the guitars, maybe try eq'ing out between 100-250 hz and see how it sounds?

As said in other posts I'm new to mixing metal so anybody feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong

Yeah, the lows are loose and muffy somewhere, i have tried very dry guitars also and cutting 110hz down but in that kinda music i prefer a littttttle mushy sound there, but yeah, maby just a littttle cleaning needs to be done :)

I forgot to tell, that all of the sound is produced with computer, only the bass and guitar are played. simply said, only the LINE sounds of string instruments are real.

Ape: Try listening it with a master limiter and listen if the guitars jump out too much!

I'd try a short-ish plate reverb for the snare to make it wider/bigger. bring the snare up also. Maybe some parallel compression on it?

lisää karstaa skeboihin johki 2 kilon hujakoille! (sorry, couldn't translate that into english haha)

not too bright at all! Way better actually! The bass drum is a bit obnoxious though, too loud maybe?

Yup awesome mix, turn that kick down a tad, are you using just one sample on it? sounds pretty repetitive, I'd say use more than one sample, if you're using multiple samples for it then choose ones that are more different
:kickass: