Unsure about the Drums in my recordings...

Donkey Fly

Loves The Cookie!
Dec 22, 2007
UK
www.myspace.com
Ok...

I record quite alot and for a while have been trying to find a decent snare. Now...i thought i'd found one a while ago and i still use it now but i think it lacks a bit of oompf. I'm not entirely sure though.

I am using Acoustica Beatcraft but with a different snare and Ride sample. I do not like the toms on beatcraft and so I EQ'd them a bit to make them a little more like the music I listen to which is a mix between death/melodic metal and 80's metal. I don't think my toms stand out enough in the mix but i am unsure of how I could do this and have been unable to find any decent toms. I also think my bass drum needs to be louder but i would like opinions on this.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Donkey+Fly/

All of the songs there features the drums pretty much the same everytime in terms of sounds and EQ.

I'm looking on how Improve the drums in the mix and in terms of getting drums sounds such of those as Children of Bodom, Iron Maiden etc.

Thanks.

Sample wise Drumagog is your friend. (Dunno if Beatcraft has multi-track outputs)
Play around with compression too, that will make your sound fuller (if you are doing it right that is ;))
I just love the API 2500 plugins, really warm and full.
And dont be afraid too crank up some frequency's in the EQ, as long as it doesn't go clipping