2nd Sucks Mix

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
This is a cover I did of A Day To Remember. I posted a thread before but I want people to see this song, not "Start the Shooting" cover because that was old and I was critiqued on a few things. Here are the changes I made thanks to UMF! :kickass:

Things I changed:
Gave the kick more punch
Guitars drive are lowered
Bass is bumping ;]
The snare is more upfront
Toms are louder
Articulations on the snare are somewhat different each hit but hard to tell in the mix

Gear:

Pod Farm
Acoustica Beatcraft
Cubase 5 DAW

Lemme know if I worsened my mixes or I have improved. :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Way too tight, in my opinion, mainly on all the palm muting. Maybe try quad tracking or upping the guitar gain a bit to make it sound fatter.

Way too tight, in my opinion, mainly on all the palm muting. Maybe try quad tracking or upping the guitar gain a bit to make it sound fatter.

I turned the gain down at the request of some people, but I don't think that's the problem. I got carried away and cut up all the chugs. So like after a chug, I would chop it out until the next chug. When I listened to the original I realized there chugs kind of tailed out. Lesson learned. Thanks for your opinion man.

I like it! The part at about 40 secs sounds super br00tal, although in my humble opinion, the click on the bassdrum could be lowered/altered and the snare could be lowered a tiiiny bit.

Also fix the volume/velocity spike at 1:08, kinda jumps out of nowhere, other than that, I dig :)

if you cut up the chugs looking for less attack in the following chug, try using a stomp crompressor

not really a fan of the drums, and the guitars are out of tune pretty badly.

it's also not loud or agressive enough!

there is potential though, so keep at it!

thanks,

dude i actually love it the rhythm guitars. PM the preset? hahah i use podfarm as well. and the only thing i would bring down is the bass drum. i dont know if its my monitors but they sound loud coming out of it. nice job

not really a fan of the drums, and the guitars are out of tune pretty badly.

it's also not loud or agressive enough!

there is potential though, so keep at it!

thanks,

Borrowed a friends guitar and the strings are 3 years old haha. Didnt have time to change them. And I try my hardest to get it louder. I dont know how to master so well.

Snare is too upfront for my taste. Other than that the kick click could be lowered as Ensi said. Keep working on it, has a lot of potential.

Sounding good everything i hear is already mentioned (choppy chugs, clicky kick, snare.)
the chorus sounds great too! keep up the good work

yepp, kick's wayyy too clicky. the cymbals are resonating at an awkward frequency. snare's not sitting in the mix too well. rhythm guitar could use more gain. lead guitar needs to be tuned better.