up the downstair, signify era??

Mr. Josey Wales

UGA student
Apr 13, 2004
athens, georgia
anybody know of any similar music to that style? i guess it would be ambient/space rock/pop??

ive really been listening to signify a lot lately...waiting is incredible. the longer songs like idiot prayer and dark matter are great too. i love the atmospheres of that era, specially in songs like fadeaway...

wonder if their going to continue this heavy rock trend on their next album. i guess thats for his side projects...

btw, anybody recommend any good albums from SW's side projects? all ive heard is the song blackfield, and one song off of the new no man cd.

well, blackfield is more of a pop rock oriented collaboration but the album kicks ass, solid as a rock. it was made with feeling, and a good listener can tell. if you have liked the track "blackfield," then definitely go for the album.

as for your interest in "signify," i can suggest many things i guess =) that album has a very spacy, acid-rock feel, and well...i guess that means you are looking for good, ambient, acid-rock albums. here are some off the top of my head...you probably have heard some of them, if not all:

ozric tentacles - erpland
king crimson - in the court of the crimson king
miles davis - aura

well, actually why not take a look at the prog rock thread? we had it somewhere around here

and here are a few albums that are NOT acid rock and that have more of an electronic (synthetic) feel to them but i thought you might give a try:

air - the virgin suicides (soundtrack)
craig armstrong - the space between us
chroma key - you go now

To me 'signify' was the start of SW moving slowly away from the space rock tag. I would say definately different feel to 'up the downstairs'.
As stated Ozric Tentacles could be described as similar to the pre sygnify era, indeed I beleive that PT did tour as support for OT in the past.
I recon PT has had changes in feel all along the way
On the sunday of life, UTD,Voyage 43 and the sky moves sideways, I would put in one era
Signify, stupid dream, lightbulb sun, the next
and In Absentia and deadwing the most recent.
As for side projects, not too sure. I do not really 'get' Bass Communication and No man (although I only have 'together we're stranger') is just too mellow and a bit boring for me.
What next, can't see SW getting much heavier, I don't think he could 'growl' for instance. More of the same is fine by me :headbang: