Update: TSO, JOP and 'Tage for 2008

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
http://www.bravewords.com/news/79895

JON OLIVA Issues Statment On Future Of SAVATAGE
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 at 11:27:51 EST

SAVATAGE mastermind JON OLIVA (JON OLIVA'S PAIN, TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA) has issued the following statement:

"Hi, this is Jon Oliva, and I would like to set the record straight regarding any Savatage reunion tour rumors. After careful consideration by management, former band members and myself, I would like to release this official statement regarding Savatage:

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is growing at an amazing rate. Our second non-Christmas record (Nightcastle) will be released later this year. Following that, TSO will immediately begin recording it's next Christmas record while also planning year-round touring and possible overseas performance.

Due to increasing demand for the TSO brand, Savatage is unable to plan any future concert appearances. TSO has become a year-round responsibility and it is impossible to shut down this massive operation in order to perform any Savatage shows.

Jon Oliva's Pain is the vehicle for the continued release and performance of my metal music. It requires the balance of my time and energy, and I am happy to be recording and touring with such talented musicians. Our third CD, Global Waning, will be released in Europe via AFM Records in mid-April 2008. Jon Oliva's Pain is as close to Savatage as you can get.

I hope this puts to rest any more speculation about the availability of Savatage in the future. Should you have any further questions please direct your emails to me at ckindercrash@hotmail.com or send a message to webmaster@jonoliva.net.

Thand, and we look forward to bringing the "Pain" to you for many years to come.

Sincerely, Jon Oliva."

No big surprise here. I knew that 25th Anniversary Tour wouldn't happen (although I was hoping to be wrong). JOP is now Savatage with all new members. I'm okay with that, as I love the JOP albums, especially Maniacal Renderings.

And I'm happy for all of them to finally be making a decent living, something they could never do as Savatage.

I'm sure TSO is pulling in much more money then Savatage in their prime, so I can understand why the rest of the band would be focusing on TSO projects.

No big surprise here. I knew that 25th Anniversary Tour wouldn't happen (although I was hoping to be wrong). JOP is now Savatage with all new members. I'm okay with that, as I love the JOP albums, especially Maniacal Renderings.

And I'm happy for all of them to finally be making a decent living, something they could never do as Savatage.

When I interviewed Jon and then Zakk Stevens neither stated that there would be a Savatage tour per se, but they both hoped that they could put together a gig with members past and present in the United States and shoot it for a DVD. Well, I hope that still happens down the road. I too am thrilled that Jon can make some dough with TSO and tour and play Savatage music with JOP.

If Savatage isn't financially possible, then how can JOP be?

It looks like Jon fired Chris Caffery, Jeff Plate, Johnny Lee Middleton, Al Pitrelli and Damond Jiniya from Savatage back in 2002 but never told them about it and instead started a new Savatage in the form of JOP. Pain is a great band, I love both records, but the death of Savatage was handled very poorly. I don't know if the public even deserves to know the real reasons but they could've just gone with "musical differencies" and honestly split up years ago to avoid a lot of confusion.

If Savatage isn't financially possible, then how can JOP be?

I get the impression that Jon would like to have a new Savatage album, but that the rest of the band is not on board, since they are focusing on TSO. Hence, he is working in the JOP setting.