Upgrade confusion

Apr 30, 2006
Hello, im pretty new to posting on this forum and I sure as hell dont know anyone on here personally. Anyways, just wondering if someone could help me in regards to setting up a portable studio (things such as equipment and how this equipment works in regards to one another). I have been into recording for a while and my shitty copy of cubase sx3 and my toneport ux2 are pissing me off with their limitations not to mention the carrot that is the university's studios are always booked up. Because of compatibility between projects done in uni and at home im hoping to make a move to pro tools for passing my course's sake and for recording local bands etc (after all what are student loans for...). I am looking for around 16 mic pre's to go into either a mac book pro or a laptop pc running vista because I need the ram (I need advice on laptops and OS limitations and implications). I dont know how the hell this works http://www.dv247.com/invt/44577/
but im assuming you can buy a digidesign interface and upgrade the amount of mic pre's on offer. If so can you guys offer me some advice on packages that suit my needs (at least 12 pre's and also how the hell they all go together and work) im really looking to travel around and record a full drum kit and a few guide instraments. Im also wondering if pro tools le beat detective is any good and can I run drumkit from hell and ez drummer on protools. I was thinking about a mackie onyx 1640 with the firewire interface but aparently you need certain hardware to run protools so im thinking it wont work. Ive already got a recording lined up for some guy with a 9 peace kit and have loads of offers to record local bands who are willing to pay (not that I will be charging cause im shit) so recomendations on drum mic kits etc would be much appreciated also. Advice on headphones, monitors (which will stay at home while I fuck off to where the band lives while using headphones to monitor signals while recording etc) anything that I need to do what i want to do is much appreciated as i really need to start getting my name out there. Cheers for reading this big pile of spunk and yeah any help is much appreciated (me love u long time).:Smokin: