Upgrading my interface...advice?

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Hello everyone!

I wanted to get your opinion in the following and maybe some guidance

In the past few months i've been getting many request from local bands to record with me..I think is pretty sweet and all but I feel that my interface is no longer fit for the job. I want to be able to handle bigger recording projects, mainly meaning more inputs for drum mics etc.

I record with a Presonus Firepod and Reaper. 8 analog inputs is not enough anymore..I wanna be able to have more inputs for things like ride, hi hat, extra toms etc.

I was looking into getting a Firestudio and expand it with a Digimax FS..I'm really happy with Presonus stuff so far but since this is a big upgrade I wanted to explore my options before making a decision...is this the smartest choice? Is there another interface set up that would fit my needs better and would give me better results/benefits?

also...would it be smart/necessary getting a analog mixer?..what would be my advantages aside from maybe aux inputs, analog eq, etc? I'm wandering in unfamiliar terrain on this one but as I said I wanted to look over the option.

Unless you get a really nice analog desk like a Midas or something with really nice pre's and EQs you probably won't see much difference. A lot of people on this board are fans of the Profire 2626. Why do you need to upgrade to a Firestudio? Couldn't you just get a Digimax and pipe that into the Firepod to have 16 inputs?

project mix + octane pre All the fuckin way

and you dont need a huge analog desk to get nice pre sounds : P
get an interface that has adat
and get a fireface 8 channel external pre amp
and then a REALLY good dual channel vocal pre amp like Vintech, TL or API

thats what you do if you dont wanna KILL the bank
i plan on getting myself the fireface external pre
those pre's are great

First, you are in wrong subforum:lol:

Second, before buy a nice but cheap desk some little points:

-have you 10k (euros not $) for this?
-have you air con and separate room?
-have you good converter (RME is the minimum for this)?
-how many tracks do you want sum (16 is smallest set to begin... This depend of your previous answer btw)?
:lol:

You can start an hybrid setup without analogue desk;)

Go with a good for the price interface like a 2626 with an octopre LE via adat. With this you get 16 nice quality pre.

More "highend": RME fireface 800 with an octopre LE

Of course you can have more highend but are you ready to spend 800$ for a pre?

Check out the Echo audiofire. Thank me later.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...12Channel-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=247004

A few days ago, I ordered a Presonus Firestudio 2626. I had planned on linking 2 or 3 of em. The next day, I discovered this! I have a few outboard pres, and have a Macki 32-4 mixer to use for now. The mixer should work perfectly with the Audiofire+I have talkback on the mixer, and I can route shit back. With 2 of those audiofires, I can have 24 tracks for $1200. That's plenty to cover scratch tracks of bass, guitar, vox, and drums with triggers on all+midi shit! Now I have to sell a fucking Presonus.