Uploading to Myspace/Facebook/Soundclick - original mp3 bitrates?

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Since MySpace and Facebook have 96k songs, and Soundclick 128k..

Is it better to upload a song already at that bitrate, done with a good convertor, or to upload a 320kpbs song to minimize the damage. Ie. does the site convert to its required bitrate even if the song already is at the required bitrate?

I upload 256 or 320's.

I figure that the sites will run them through their own converter, and since I don't know how good it is, I just go for the best from my end to try and minimize the damage.

I've uploaded 128's before and noticed a big difference upon hearing them online, so immediately took them down and uploaded better quality. They easily sounded better. This was on Myspace and FaceBook BTW.

I was curious about this myself, thanks for the info Nate! And Morgan, I too can't tell a 192 kpbs mp3 encoded with LAME from one at a higher bitrate (or even a wav), and I highly doubt anyone else could either except maybe in a direct A/B comparison :loco: (assuming we're talking metal of course, jazz/classical/acoustic would probably be a different story)

I was curious about this myself, thanks for the info Nate! And Morgan, I too can't tell a 192 kpbs mp3 encoded with LAME from one at a higher bitrate (or even a wav), and I highly doubt anyone else could either except maybe in a direct A/B comparison :loco: (assuming we're talking metal of course, jazz/classical/acoustic would probably be a different story)

Really? There is a clear difference in the top end at 192kbps.

Encoding to 128 kbit damages the original badly, and then when they re-encode it to 128 kbit again, it does even more damage.
Encoding to, say, 256 kbit does less damage to the original, and so makes the re-encoding to 128 kbit do less relative damage.

So yes, always upload as high quality mp3s as possible to Myspace :)

yeah but if your in a band alot of times mysace pplays are requirements for booking agents and stuff like that so using an external player is really only an option as a secondary player or for a studio page