US Dates

Just booked the hotel and ordered tickets!!!!!!:kickass:
I'm f'ing pumped. 9 hour drive each way from London, Ontario, Canada but it'll be worth it by far.
So Andy (or any other band members), you going to be walking around meeting fans? I'd like to buy you guys beers (that should get you out on the floor)
See you Sunday:headbang:

Sabbat put on a killer show. However, the turnout was very low. I could not believe how few people showed up, especially after twenty years of waiting!!!! I've not been to a BB Kings show where there was so much floor space during the headliner act, LOL. I think the band was a little disappointed as well. Chalk it up on poor press. But they're friggin' troopers, having just gotten off their flight and still delivered a energetic performance! The sound was excellent.

They had a new shirt available -- a Dreamweaver re-issue. Good, because my old one from '89 doesn't fit me anymore!!

Sabbat put on a killer show. However, the turnout was very low. I could not believe how few people showed up, especially after twenty years of waiting!!!! I've not been to a BB Kings show where there was so much floor space during the headliner act, LOL. I think the band was a little disappointed as well. Chalk it up on poor press. But they're friggin' troopers, having just gotten off their flight and still delivered a energetic performance! The sound was excellent.

They had a new shirt available -- a Dreamweaver re-issue. Good, because my old one from '89 doesn't fit me anymore!!

Yeah the turnout was poor but the band were still very into it, lots of energy and it looked like they were having fun. They sound was great and the band were tight as hell.
Man was it ever surreal to finally see them standing in front of me and playing songs of known for almost 20 years, I had a perma smile on my face.
The 9 hour drive was totally worth. I wish I could have met the band but the girlfriend was exhausted after sight seeing all day and didn't want to stick around.
I have a few pics taken on a cheap digital camera that i'll post up later. The quality isn't that great though.
I was hoping they had a special tour shirt of the design on the front page with the British flag and the "Horned in the USA" title....ah well.
As for the setlist, I can't remember exactly what songs were played but there were about 12 or so and split pretty evenly between the first two albums. Songs for sure played were:

Intro (instr)
A Cautionary Tale
Hosanna In Excelsis
Behind The Crooked Cross
I For An Eye
The Church Bizzare
The Clerical Conspiracy
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?
The Best of Enemies
Wildfire
Maybe someone can add to the ones i can't remember

Thanks boys for the show, it was fucking amazing:kickass:I hope the rest of the U.S. "tour" is a great success and you have a fun time. Now start writing new material.

@johnfrank1970, check your pm's on the Braveboard and you'll have a great time at the show tonight.....i'm jealous

Well, I had a blast last night seeing the band responsible for my third favorite album of all time. There were only about 100 people at the venue, but Sabbat put on an energetic and enthusiastic show. Andy Sneap had a smile on his face almost the entire time he was on stage. I think he was glad to get out of the studio for a bit. One of the very nondescript local bands implored "Mr. Sneap" to produce their next album. Maybe that's what put Andy into such a good humor. Martin Walkyier was a compelling frontman, and he sounded great belting out lyrics he wrote 20 years ago. The remaining three band members (the Simons and the charmingly named fill-in bassist Gizz Butt) also performed well, but my attention was focused on Martin and Andy. I was into the performance from the first note, but it took me a few songs to get past the awe I felt watching these guys play 10 feet in front of me. Initially, the band was probably 15 feet away from me, but I think all the spittle flying from my mouth as I shouted out lyrics inspired the two girls in front of me to relocate, allowing me to spit on the front row of bangers who were too into the show to notice.

As cynical as Martin is, he impressed me with his optimism when he encouraged us to spread the Sabbat gospel such that they could come back to the US and play for 20,000 screaming fans at a festival. I can only assume he wants to open for or perhaps co-headline with U2. I've always loved Martin's lyrics in Sabbat as well as early Skyclad, and it was interesting to me how well these songs about a monk trying to convert pagans translated well to much broader, modern concepts. He introduced "The Best of Enemies", one of my favorite songs ever, with a brief anti-Bush screed, and damned if the song suddenly seemed totally applicable to current events. Worthwhile lyrics are very rare in music, and Martin is one of the best writers to put pen to paper. The only slight disappointment I felt regarding lyrics was that some of them were left out of a few of the Dreamweaver tracks. "The Clerical Conspiracy" chorus was not repeated, but just sung once each verse, which was not a big deal. Whole passages, however, were left out of "The Best of Enemies". I understood omitting "Drawn to the spirits like moths to a flame - when there is no risk then there can be no gain" because it is whispered in the original, but dropping it hurt as I dearly love that line. The two longer passages that were omitted are reproduced below for those few who would actually give a shit. The second set of prose is another favorite of mine.

The values that you hold so dear
(all your laws and rules),
They hold no more sway here
Than the mutterings of fools.
Just look about you and I'm sure that you will find -
Heaven lies within our hearts
And Hell is but a figment of your mind.

Shaven-headed servant of an infantile faith -
By what right do you presume
To come and try to take my place?
If there is one grain of truth amidst your hoard of lies,
'tis "Love your neighbour as yourself"
With this alone I can abide.

I was happy to purchase a Dreamweaver shirt with more of my favorite lyrics, again from "The Best of Enemies", on the back:

When living your life like an arrow in flight
You must always accept that the end is in sight,
Be grateful at least for the fact that you knew
you came to death - it did not come for you.

I wanted to shake Martin's and Andy's hands after the show and congratulate them. I also wanted to ask Martin where he buys his gauntlets. I already know where to get eyeliner. Anyway, when the show ended, an announcer stated that Sabbat would be available for the VIP ticketholders in 25 minutes. I was hoping they would just mill about at the bar for awhile, which maybe they did later, but I did not want to wait around. I did not get to express my gratitude to the band directly, so I will say it here. Thanks for making the trip, lads. You put on an awesome show and made one long-time fan very happy.

Set list:

Intro (instrumental)
A Cautionary Tale
Hosanna in Excelsis
The Clerical Conspiracy
Behind the Crooked Cross
I For An Eye
The Best of Enemies
How Have the Mighty Fallen?
The Church Bizarre

Encore:

Wildfire
For Those Who Died

Well, I had a blast last night seeing the band responsible for my third favorite album of all time. There were only about 100 people at the venue, but Sabbat put on an energetic and enthusiastic show. Andy Sneap had a smile on his face almost the entire time he was on stage. I think he was glad to get out of the studio for a bit. One of the very nondescript local bands implored "Mr. Sneap" to produce their next album. Maybe that's what put Andy into such a good humor. Martin Walkyier was a compelling frontman, and he sounded great belting out lyrics he wrote 20 years ago. The remaining three band members (the Simons and the charmingly named fill-in bassist Gizz Butt) also performed well, but my attention was focused on Martin and Andy. I was into the performance from the first note, but it took me a few songs to get past the awe I felt watching these guys play 10 feet in front of me. Initially, the band was probably 15 feet away from me, but I think all the spittle flying from my mouth as I shouted out lyrics inspired the two girls in front of me to relocate, allowing me to spit on the front row of bangers who were too into the show to notice.

As cynical as Martin is, he impressed me with his optimism when he encouraged us to spread the Sabbat gospel such that they could come back to the US and play for 20,000 screaming fans at a festival. I can only assume he wants to open for or perhaps co-headline with U2. I've always loved Martin's lyrics in Sabbat as well as early Skyclad, and it was interesting to me how well these songs about a monk trying to convert pagans translated well to much broader, modern concepts. He introduced "The Best of Enemies", one of my favorite songs ever, with a brief anti-Bush screed, and damned if the song suddenly seemed totally applicable to current events. Worthwhile lyrics are very rare in music, and Martin is one of the best writers to put pen to paper. The only slight disappointment I felt regarding lyrics was that some of them were left out of a few of the Dreamweaver tracks. "The Clerical Conspiracy" chorus was not repeated, but just sung once each verse, which was not a big deal. Whole passages, however, were left out of "The Best of Enemies". I understood omitting "Drawn to the spirits like moths to a flame - when there is no risk then there can be no gain" because it is whispered in the original, but dropping it hurt as I dearly love that line. The two longer passages that were omitted are reproduced below for those few who would actually give a shit. The second set of prose is another favorite of mine.

The values that you hold so dear
(all your laws and rules),
They hold no more sway here
Than the mutterings of fools.
Just look about you and I'm sure that you will find -
Heaven lies within our hearts
And Hell is but a figment of your mind.

Shaven-headed servant of an infantile faith -
By what right do you presume
To come and try to take my place?
If there is one grain of truth amidst your hoard of lies,
'tis "Love your neighbour as yourself"
With this alone I can abide.

I was happy to purchase a Dreamweaver shirt with more of my favorite lyrics, again from "The Best of Enemies", on the back:

When living your life like an arrow in flight
You must always accept that the end is in sight,
Be grateful at least for the fact that you knew
you came to death - it did not come for you.

I wanted to shake Martin's and Andy's hands after the show and congratulate them. I also wanted to ask Martin where he buys his gauntlets. I already know where to get eyeliner. Anyway, when the show ended, an announcer stated that Sabbat would be available for the VIP ticketholders in 25 minutes. I was hoping they would just mill about at the bar for awhile, which maybe they did later, but I did not want to wait around. I did not get to express my gratitude to the band directly, so I will say it here. Thanks for making the trip, lads. You put on an awesome show and made one long-time fan very happy.

Set list:

Intro (instrumental)
A Cautionary Tale
Hosanna in Excelsis
The Clerical Conspiracy
Behind the Crooked Cross
I For An Eye
The Best of Enemies
How Have the Mighty Fallen?
The Church Bizarre

Encore:

Wildfire
For Those Who Died

Fantastic review -never noticed a shortening of best of enemies - but does it really matter? i mean it IS avery long song and maybe things are getting a squeeze for a more varied set. That set IS a killer setlist.

Greta review.
Pics now huh?:headbang:

I'd also like to throw out some thanks for a great show in Mokena. It was freakin incredible. They were tight as hell and sounded amazing. It's something I never thought I'd get to see, and kind of brought me full circle to about 15 years ago when a friend got me to read The Way of Wyrd, and then led me to Dreamweaver.

Also, we spent some time chatting with the merch guy, John (who was very nice, great guy), and he said they had intended to make the "Horned in the USA" shirts, but that basically the design was impossible to get on a t-shirt. So I gladly purchased a Dreamweaver one myself, and my friend bought one of the others for his brother who couldn't make it.

I would have liked to stick around as well, just to say thanks to all the guys. Unfortunately I had a 2 hour drive home and had to be up at 5:30 the next morning, so I too will say it here. Andy, thanks for an amazing show. Now get Martin to bring Skyclad over here so I can see them, too. :kickass:

If anybody's on the fence about traveling to one of these shows, you should absolutely do it. You won't regret it.

A late post - but just to add to whats been said - BB Kings was an incredible show. I too waited 19 or so years for this. Sound was killer - and a full on performance from the lads despite the not so huge turn out. Great to see some hardcore US Sabbat fans here and giving total support to the guys. I moved here 11 years ago (from N. Ireland originally and lived in England for a while) - and had all but given up of seeing the guys gig here. Well worth the wait. For me this is one the best lives show I've seen (inlcuding all the classic thrash gigs in the 80's!!).

I know Andy - no plans to do a new album - but how about a live one??

Would love to get that killer live sound you have now on CD.

Anyhows- thanks lads for making my week!! Definitley come back soon. I'll be back in the UK soon and hopefully there'll be more gigs afoot (though I'll miss the london one).

Cheers for now.