US Metal radio??

miocene

From here to death
Nov 29, 2004
England
Can anybody tell me any good metal radio station in America? Online or not, any would be good! Thanks

The best power metal? Sir, I must engage in fisticuffs with you now - I heartily disagree.

Well... I retract that statement, edit it to say that the average US power band is better than the average Power metal band, and resubmit it, but that statement I stand by.

Come to think of it the best death metal comes from here, and more recently black metal too, but if we're only talking about recently the others aren't true.

Yeah I'm not sure what good power metal bands come from the U.S... I tried to think of some the other day and all I could come up with was Iced Earth and Manowar. Maybe I'm just losing my touch.

yeah there isnt really any power metal bands in the US, but thrash metal is getting bigger, and there has been alot of good thrash from here

xshadowsoulsx said:
yeah there isnt really any power metal bands in the US

Off the top of my head:

- Helstar
- Deadly Blessing
- Temple of Blood
- Iced Earth
- Agent Steel
- Cellador

And with my mp3 collection's assistance:

- Jag Panzer
- Nevermore
- Theocracy

froosch said:
Off the top of my head:

- Helstar
- Deadly Blessing
- Temple of Blood
- Iced Earth
- Agent Steel
- Cellador

And with my mp3 collection's assistance:

- Jag Panzer
- Nevermore
- Theocracy
i wasnt thinking really hard when i wrote that, i knew there were some, but i meant that there are more metal bands that arent power metal than there are power metal bands in the US

My favorite power metal:
Sonata Arctica - Finnland
Nightwish - Finnland
Blind Guardian - Germany
Hammerfall - Sweden
Dream Evil - Sweden
Stratovarius - Finnland
Dragonforce - England
Elvenking - Italian
Jag Panzer - US

Black metal is dead. And Nevermore and Iced Earth seem more thrash than power to me.

Symphony X is more progressive... I forgot about Kamelot.

Also forgot Jag Panzer. Nevermore and Iced Earth aren't really power metal, your right. Definitely more thrash. But I think this is turning into nit-picking.

I'm thinking about power metal in terms of the Rhapsody/Dream Evil/Sonata Arctica/Hammerfall style. Jag Panzer and Kamelot would fit that bill.

I haven't heard any of the bands froosch mentioned either, for the most part. lol.

Nevermore and Iced Earth are US power, which, you're right, is closer to thrash. Like most of the rest of the bands I mentioned. A couple are the more European style, but the harder thrashier stuff is still power metal.

Yeah. I'm just not so sure it qualifies as better than the European variety. I've listened to a bit of Helstar, and some of the others. Just...don't see it. Maybe it's because I'm not interested in American Power Metal, which should be American Power/Thrash Metal by your definition...which isn't at all what is commonly referred to as power metal, and thus very hard to quantify as being worse or better when they are two separate genres entirely.

(i'm nitpicking, but summation: i still disagree!)

Speed is kind of an unnecessary genre because usually anything you'd classify as speed you could classify as heavy, power, thrash, or a combination of them, but you wouldn't call bands like Slayer or Kreator speed metal, but Holy Terror you might.

Black metal's not dead, it just moved to the US. Xasthur, Leviathan, Absu, Judas Iscariot, etc. Personally I don't like US black metal nearly as much as the old-school Norwegian variety, but other than Darkthrone's new punkish album I'm not a big fan of the stuff that's coming out of there now.

And yeah, I'm beginning to disagree with my own statement... but the point was that the US scene isn't as bad as everyone makes it seem.

I always figured Speed Metal was Power Metal, sans overt use of melody like keyboards and harmonies... so basically not Power Metal.

...genres are ghey.