USB Hub for macbook pro

Massili

Jun 3, 2005
Ok, A macbook pro has only 2 usb ports and i have these equipments that uses usb:

- External 7200 HD
- Interface
- Midi controller keyboard
- e-license key for cubase

I know i need one dedicated port for the external HD for tracking and running samples, then left one port for the others 3.

May i use a usb hub (with a external power source) to connect the 3 below?

- USB Interface
- USB Midi controller keyboard
- e-license key for cubase

My interface is a M-audio fast track and i just track guitars and vocals, mixing, mastering and regular playback. I use the midi controller to play VSTi, write drum parts and synths.

In the future i do intend to get a firewire interface but for now i can't afford it yet.

also, do you guys know what the firewire chipset of the new macbooks pro and imac?

All the manuals and some people I've talked to say that "important things" need to be connected directly to the computer. But I've never heard anyone tell me anything bad about using ports for anything though. I'd like to test it but am weary about harming my equipment. Someone else do it and let us know how it goes :D

With USB hubs, you may experience a bit of latency during recording. I personally haven't used USB hubs very often, but you're taking a connection that can move at around 400mb/s max (USB 2.0), and throttling that through another connection that can transfer around 400 mb/s max. Now, with that said, in my experience with hubs, I haven't really had any project-ruining or uncurable or even really noticeable latency issues - however, sometimes with the way laptop mobo's are configured, one USB port might be receiving more power than the other one, I can't say if this may be a problem or not for your specific MBP, but it is for mine.

The 17' mbp has 3 ports,
About the hub, I would try to get a good one, and possibly one that has its own power cable, cause with only a few devices connected it can be enough, but if in the future you wanna plug another HD and a mouse and any other USB devices, the mbp can have trouble powering them all and you will be surprised to see you're having problems during recording or anything.

I have the Logitech Premium 4 Port USB Hub and it works great, never had a problem. It can be powered with its own power adapter, but for most stuff it isn't even necessary, even for big external harddisks (3,5") so you can also use it without the extra power if you have / want to.