Use of High and Low Pass

tentimesover

Mar 14, 2009
I'm curious, I use this on a few of my tracks mostly for guitars but I'm curious if it's common for people to use High / low pass on each track to just kill all un needed frequencies?

Is there any negative to this?

I mean, I just imported the Lamb of God seperated tracks and everything just has it's own zone. It's not like the guitars sound FUCKING HEAVY BRAH it's just that they sit perfectly with the bass.

My mixes always have each instrument blending together which I know I just need to keep practicing with mixing but I was also thinking it could help to narrow down my frequencies on top of continuing to work on mixing / eqing

They are on the sacrament deluxe edition CD. I'm sorry that I used the word downloaded, does imported or ripped work better?

Lol how about "got"? sounds more legit IMO

I can´t tell if you´re being a total sarcastic cynical dick or an askissing dumbass hahaha

No offense, seriously

Nah man, I've lurked on this forum for awhile and posted some, it was an honest slip I'm not asskissing or being sarcastic.

Brain is just moving a lil slow this morning is all.

Nah man, I've lurked on this forum for awhile and posted some, it was an honest slip I'm not asskissing or being sarcastic.

Brain is just moving a lil slow this morning is all.

it´s cool, happens to all of us.

Oh and it is common nowadays to HP and LP pretty much everything, not a strict rule (there aren´t any strict rules in music production I would say) but very common, and the more amount of tracks hanging around at full speed will require more extreme filtering to get everything to sit well. It´s all a matter of taste, and as always use your ears

I high pass everything.
If you're doing rock music, anything below 40Hz seems to be pretty useless.
Guitars high passed at 100-120Hz for rhythms, 200-250Hz for leads, 40Hz for kick drums and 40Hz for the master bus are typical settings I use.
Guitars tend to be low passed at 10-13KHz, depending on what I'm looking for.
13KHz might sound a little high but I often reduce around 7KHz anyway so I can get closer to the sound of modern pro production's guitar tones, so even when I low pass at 13KHz it doesn't sound harsh anyway.

I just use my stock DAW plug in to be honest and it works fine. Once I learn to hear more and develop maybe I'll spend money on plug ins, but stock DAW plug ins get better over time anyway

Sorry, should have made it more clear. The stock EQ in Cubase for example doesn't have a very steep curve. Thats fine to highpass from ~100 Hz upwards but it doesn't do much if you really wanna cut of everything below 40...That's why I'm asking.

I can't remember the Cubase EQ off-hand, but a lot of EQs will let you choose whether each 'band' is a high/low pass, a peak or a shelf. If the Cubase one does, just set up two of them as highpasses and put them in the same place - it will make the curve steeper.

Steve

high pass everything. yes...EVERYTHING, just to different degrees

low pass is great for guitar, bass, some elements of the drums...basically anything that you truly want it to have its own restriced space in the mix

Ever heard of a plugin called Rubberfilter? I discovered it recently, but I had no time to download it so far... It´s a very very steep filter (up to 384 db/octave) for high and lowpassing audio material. It´s freeware and you can download it on KVR.

What do you guys think about that? Is it good to cut with such steep curves?

I high pass everything.
Guitars high passed at 100-120Hz for rhythms, 200-250Hz for leads, 40Hz for kick drums and 40Hz for the master bus are typical settings I use.

Why would you really want to high pass the master??? Better to mix the low end properly

I high pass everything.
Guitars tend to be low passed at 10-13KHz, depending on what I'm looking for.
13KHz might sound a little high but I often reduce around 7KHz anyway so I can get closer to the sound of modern pro production's guitar tones, so even when I low pass at 13KHz it doesn't sound harsh anyway.

http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/

Pop some of your favorite tunes in there. You'd be surprised how much low end is on some things. Also a lot of good tones have guitars that really slam below 100hz. It might not make you a better engineer, but it definitely is inspiring and enlightening to see what other people do.