Using Slate Drums with an Electric Kit (Alesis DM6)

aaronglass

Wanna-Be Sound Engineer
Apr 14, 2011
www.monument-studios.com
Hey guys so I'm about to pick up the Alesis DM6 drum kit (USB) to A) record drums through Slate and B) teach myself drums haha

Have any of you had experience with mapping the drums to Slate? If so how would I do it?

This is how I do it too. Slate has a universally known midi map and you can't program your pads to be different things while playing live. However, after you record the midi information you can move the midi hits to wherever they need to be. For example you'll play the a cymbal for a breakdown which slate will have premapped to sound like a ride cymbal. And after you're Done youll drag the midi dots from the ride key in the piano roll down to the china key in the piano roll

This is how I've been doing it and Haven't found a different way. If anyone else has different versions of doing this or knows how to actually map the pads to different sounds while playing live/real time recording, please chime in.

Ahh I know in the Slate plugin window there's a way to change midi mappings but I'm just wondering if there's a way to change it in corrolation to the set itself.

It would be annoying telling a drummer "okay the snare is actually a ride" or something weird like that lol

Are you talking about SSD 4? Because you can fully map everything there! You have to think the other way round than you usually would. I don't have the plugin in front of me right now but from the top of my head:
go to the Mapping screen. Now you see the various instruments and their articulations on a list of midi-keys.
Now you can hit one of your pads (let's say the snare) and you will see a midinumber light up whenever you do so. Let's say your midinumber for the snare is C1.
What you should do now, is check on the list what Slate's midinumber for the a snarehit is. Let's say it is A1.
What you should do now is NOT to put C1 next to the Slate-defined midinumber, but go to C1, and route that to A1 by setting it to A1 in the second box (there should be 2 boxes next to eachother, the left is the original note, and the right is where it gets sent too). Whenever you hit your snarepad now, the midinumber you send (C1) will be routed to Slate's snare-midinumber (A1). This way you could even route multiple pads to a single instrument, if for some reason you desire to do so.

It probably sounds a lot more convoluted than it is. Just make sure to save your midimap every now and then, because this part of the process was very crash-sensitive for me. Also, make sure you don't create routing-loops, because that crashes the program every time for me.

Good luck and enjoy!