Vai....

Stun said:
..and Return to Serenity...
That was the one I meant, i must have gotten bad crack(?!) or something! :lol: That song made me miss my train stop every time when I listen to it some back in the days!

Still which Petrucci song is the most amazing??

@Tut please change your sig it is SO GAY!!! :heh:

Mammoth

If you want to hear Holdsworth in full flight check these out.

The songs 'Rukakah' , 'Low Levels,High Stakes' and 'Hard Hat Area' off the album HARD HAT AREA

and the songs

'Devil Takes the Hindmost' and 'Metal Fatigue' off the album METAL FATIGUE.

and you should all do your selves a big favour and check out some of Ron Thal's playing.

http://www.bumblefoot.com/noflash/artist.htm

check out the clips for 'Vomit' and the video section further down the page

"I Can't Play the Blues" (clip)
and
Playing some Chopin for friends (1998)

its fucked up.

Also Vai fans should check out
Mattias IA Eklundh's cd Freak Guitar and his band Freak Kitchen.....his playing is very Vai/Zappa like....but still original.

BodomiC said:
Anyon eheard about Shawn Lane? Or Steve Lukather? Or Garry Moore? Or Larry Carlton? Im never bored with their solo recordings :p
I just recently watched a video of a live performance of Shawn Lane. Really cool stuff. What I heard it sounded like an ambient shred or something wierd like that. I liked what I heard. But if you was to break it all down all he was really doing is randomly playing through some scales. I think all you would need is some mediocre shreding skills and good knowledge of the fretboard to do what he does. I'm guessing if you asked him to play a melody he would be kind of lost. That's just a guess though. I only heard one song allthough it was about 30 minutes long. the whole thing was improvised. I have nothing against improvised stuff, but it gets boring after a while.

chainek wrote
I just recently watched a video of a live performance of Shawn Lane. Really cool stuff. What I heard it sounded like an ambient shred or something wierd like that. I liked what I heard. But if you was to break it all down all he was really doing is randomly playing through some scales. I think all you would need is some mediocre shreding skills and good knowledge of the fretboard to do what he does. I'm guessing if you asked him to play a melody he would be kind of lost. That's just a guess though. I only heard one song allthough it was about 30 minutes long. the whole thing was improvised. I have nothing against improvised stuff, but it gets boring after a while.

SO wrong.....Lane was one of the all time greatest players ever.......he could shred with the best....but he could slow things down...Check out his Powers of Ten live album....and he did many albums with Jonas Hellborg....some were straight out improvised pieces. 3 guys on stage....lets make some shit up....the guy had hundreds of tasty licks...RIP

Oh, cool. I wouldn't mind hearing more of that guy. I was basing what I said off of the little bit I did hear.

There is something about improvised music that I don't like as much though. It doesn't have that edge that something that is fully planned out has I think. But that probably won't stop me from listening to this guy. I did enjoy what I heard. I'm guessing that not all of his music is improvised anyways.