Vale of Pnath – S/T

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Vale of Pnath – S/T
Self Release – April 2008
By Ryan Starr

l_e536d7619c04a61bfcdd7788db3c5515.jpg

Melody AND Technicality? In the same package? Amazing! This isn’t something we get too often these days. Vale of Pnath mix over the top technical wankery with some great pseudo core melody. The closest comparison I can make is a melodic version Brain Drill. Now, don’t be afraid that I mentioned the word core. Honestly, this music isn’t anything close to core. There are no breakdowns or whining. But the melodies are very optimistic sounding, and for some reason people relate this to metal core. Well, Vale of Pnath have proven that you can still have pleasurable melodies and not be a lame metal core band.

Actually, one thing I like about this release is the transitions from death metal brutality to these melodic parts. They have managed to make these transitions smooth and blend perfectly into each other, which is quite a complicated task. You have to be smart in music theory, specifically scales and key signatures, to really nail a mood change like that.

Vale of Pnath have produced something special here. This debut EP shows off their technical prowess, their amazing ear for melody, and an astonishing talent for writing. But most importantly, the music is intelligent. These guys know what they’re doing and I’m certain we can expect great things from them.

Official Vale of Pnath Website