Vampire in the Blabbermirror: Dimmu Borgir album leak

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
Apparently on the 15th, Blabbermouth ran this story:

"According to Nuclear Blast Records, six weeks prior to the European release date (April 27) of the new DIMMU BORGIR album, "In Sorte Diaboli", the CD appeared on an illegal download web site. Since members of the worldwide metal press were supplied with individual download accounts for the music on the Nuclear Blast web site instead of regular promotional CDs, the source of the leak was quickly uncovered. The personal watermark of Luca Pessina, a writer for Italy's Metalitalia webzine and news editor for the Italian edition of Metal Hammer, was allegedly found on the files, making it clear that he was responsible for the music being distributed illegally, according to Nuclear Blast. The label has already taken legal steps against Pessina, which may result in charges being brought against the journalist. In addition, Nuclear Blast may file a lawsuit to recover some of the damages it claims it suffered as a result of the leak."

I found this via Google, and luckily it was cached by that site. The original news article is here:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=68828

I don't know what's more interesting, the story itself or the fact that it was taken down.

What an Orwellian world we live in.

Oh, and what kind of fag would download (or own) a Dimmu recording anyway?

Obviously not the same type of intellectual giant that uses words like "fag" as a pejorative.

Oh, did I hurt the fag's feelings? Join the real world, where 'gay' and 'queer' and 'fag' have been stand-ins for 'stupid' for decades. Stow the bullshit morality, this is METAL.

The two most damaging words placed together in modern (within 50 years) society are Intellectual Property.

Horseshit. Without copyright law, then a big business can just take anyone's music, print up their own copies (or have a hired "house band" perform the material), and sell them and the original artists wouldn't have a say in it, get a penny out of it, or be credited in any way shape or form. At least bands now have to agree to get totally fucked in the hopes of "making it."

There would be no creative work that anyone could do that wouldn't immediately be stolen and sold.

Shit (if we're going into science fiction now), some label could print up their own copies of LotFP with glowing reviews of all their shit, you know?

Copyright and intellectual property are not bad ideas. Not saying their implementation couldn't be tweaked...

Horseshit. Without copyright law, then a big business can just take anyone's music, print up their own copies (or have a hired "house band" perform the material), and sell them and the original artists wouldn't have a say in it, get a penny out of it, or be credited in any way shape or form. At least bands now have to agree to get totally fucked in the hopes of "making it."

The big labels would have trouble making money without copyright law as well, and I can't help but think that would be a good thing. Take the money out, and only the real artists remain.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=71995

The headline "DIMMU BORGIR Bassist Discusses Music Downloading, Career Highlights" was different just a few minutes ago. "Dimmu Borgir Plans Legal Action Against Journalist Who Leaked New Album," or very similar wording, was the original headline.

The text of the article was changed as well, with the talk relating to the earlier headline removed (and unrelated matters added in). It's still present in the original article Blabbermouth is pulling from (here)

Hmm. Why do matters relating to legal action against this person keep getting posted, and then removed, from Blabbermouth?

Mr. Krgin wrote back. Basically, the info is all over the net anyway (I try to not look at that many press releases so I just check Blabbermouth a few times a day, not every other site I might be able to find), but this is a "sensitive subject" and the original article at least was removed at the request of Dimmu management.

So. "Sensitive" information that's available everywhere anyway is still pulled on request. Looks like I should change my "one press release" bookmark. Any suggestions? heh.

Sideways issue but I liked:

Vortex: "I like that you can use the same currency everywhere. That's nice. The people are really friendly, that's for sure. You also have fantastic scenery. We really enjoy it here. The negative is that you have too many McDonald's-type restaurants."

Vortex, you must... think... harder... ponder... interconnections...

Better not though, because we might have to deal with a Demonic Economy Sovereign as a result.